Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 What made you decide to start keeping snakes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  10:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've loved reptiles,bugs and amphibians for as long as I can remember.....well I just nuts about animals/nature.
As a child I went to a pet shop and saw snakes and lizards and stood there dreaming I could have something so amazing,never thinking I actually would! Then whilst on a family holiday a year or so later I was out walking with my dad and we came across a grass snake on the road. My dad told me to pick it up in case it got run over (probably thought it was venemous so told me to do it lol!) Anyway I picked it up,it was playing dead and put it in some undergrowth,I was even more fascinated afterwards.
In my early 20's I had beardies and chameleons,my now ex had a burm. Had no reps for ages afterwards,although I thought about getting a corn 5 years ago,did all the research but got 2 rescue guinea pigs instead as I thought they'd be better for the kids! 2 years ago the kids and I stayed with a friend who had a corn,on coming back the kids asked if they could get one with their pocket money put together. They'd seen my friends corn feed so I knew they'd be ok with that and we went ahead and got Loki. Little did I expect I'd end up with a snakey clan,I've honestly never been so taken with an animal before!

I've also got a 7 year old ****atiel (Amy),she's a scruffy sod as she constantly laid eggs so I'm trying to build her back up! 2 guinea pigs (Patch and Tufty),they are elderly boys and I have to help one go to the toilet sometimes as he's started having difficulty bless him. I also have Max the millipede,he's a fab little bug,and the last remaining stick insect died a couple of weeks ago.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  17:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love hearing everyones stories

1.0.0 Royal Python (Sir Cuthbert)
1.0.0 Corn (Trevor)
1.0.0 C0ckatiel (Baldwin)
1.0.0 Jug - jack russel x pug (Keyser Soze)
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  19:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Here we go!

When I was about 5 my mum took me to the zoo. We got into one of those 'handle weird animals' sessions. A Koala came around, every things good. A Trantula came over, mother gets a bit nervous but still does well. The zoo guy brings out a big cloth sack and my mother sees this massive snake pop his head out and legs it out the door (leaving me in there). After handling that snake I always wanted one. I wasn't allowed one because my mother has a massive phobia, she got me a fluffy toy snake (at the age of 18 btw) because I kept banging on about it and it is called Sid.

I met my Fiancee and eventually moved out of my mums (a few months ago) into a house share in town. Shortly after that my cat Tigger died (still lived at my mums), this cat was like rain man. He used the toilet if he couldn't get outside and was very territorial over his spot on my bed (you can probably guess he wasn't impressed when Fern was over). After a while (I'm still recovering from the loss, that Cat was my best mate) I realised that there was nothing stopping me from getting a snake and calling it Frank! So I looked online, read dozens of websites and spoke to people I know with snakes and they recommended a place in Gloucester called Pilbara Reptiles. I called em up and had a chat and they recommended a Hatchling Corn. The following day I took the hour drive to Glos (after an excited sleepless night) just to have a look, get a feel for temperament and see how much they charged and set ups etc. The plan was to price it up and have a look around (Already done loads of online looking). Next thing I know Frank is in a RUB and I've got a Faun in the back of the car.

On calling my mother to tell her I've got a snake she was a little concerned and said 'they don't eat little baby mice do they' and my lightening reactions replied with 'Nooo, its a Corn snake. Frank eats corn!'. She reluctantly belived me but then did some research of her own and I had to confess. She did ask If i could feed him other things such as steak, chicken etc. I think she NEEDS to believe that Frank is eating steak and chicken nuggets. To be fair to my mum, she is showing an interest and is willing to face her fear! She hasn't promised but when talking about it she is willing to try, starting with seeing him in his faun, which is very brave considering her massive fear of snakes imo!

The hardest bit for me is holding off handling him until Wednesday for his next feed!

Well thats my origin story!

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

meggi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
321 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  20:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching a vet programme on animal planet with my mom and a corn snake came on. We were talking and i said how much i`d love a corn. The next thing i knew, i was opening a corn and terranium for my 10th b`day. I`m now 13 and still slightly obssesed with him

I also have 4 chickens, a guinea pig, a springer spaniel and 2 goldfish!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  03:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to go out and catch them and bring them back to show my mum.
Bringing an Adder back to her when I was but a mini-Kehhlyr and her saying "that's nice, when you're done, put it back where you got it and come have a sandwich" My mum was the aces!
Having a dad that was born/bred in India hasn't helped at all, especially hearing the stories about how he was found with a small tank in his bedroom with nearly a dozen baby cobras in it hasn't helped me either.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000