New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stebrown
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  13:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I'm making a new a twice viv for my two corns with 3d backgrounds nd stuff but was thinking a corn snake likes a weekly bath nd was thinking in making a small waterfall or feature in the cool side of the viv just would like a but more information or advie about me doing soo thanks in advance Stephen

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  13:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure corns need baths do they? The risk with putting a waterfall in is that it raises the humidity, and this can cause a risk of Respiratory Infections in corns, so I'd personally advise against it. They aren't rainforest snakes after all!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  14:04:46  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Also putting a waterfall in could potentially raise humidity which is not needed by corns. And if they wanted to bath they'd do it in the water bowl.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 08/01/2012 14:05:47
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  15:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wouldnt bother. I lost track of the amount of time i spent trying to get mine out of the inside of the waterfall.Far too much effort!!

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

Stebrown
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  15:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know about the humidity level that's why it would be small nd place on the cool side of the viv to keep the levels right, also the idea was it would be used as a water bowl due to the water bowls being knocked over as both my corns are very playful, I think If I tile the 3d background using a grout and waterproof layer of non toxic cover having the waterfall built of the cool side of the vIv wall so no chance of them get behind it or stuck,
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  16:03:22  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you also run the risk of the snake blocking the waters path then you have another prob with a flooded viv. i looked into this but the cons well out numbered the pros

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Stebrown
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  16:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About blocking water, all the water holes would have small vent to make such a think unlikely to happen :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  16:49:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Corns don't like weekly baths and a waterfall would cause more harm than good in terms of health like others have said. Even if its at the cool side, it will still raise it as water is moving and makes small droplets fly all over the place. Ceramic cat or rabbit bowls are cheap as chips and aren't heavy enough for corns to tip.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 08/01/2012 16:49:58
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  18:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The waterfalls available are not designed for snakes, snakes can get stuck and drown in them. The water still needs changing daily in them. It can cause humidity issues. Its ruined if the snake poops in it. It will make you want to pee every 5 seconds.

Its all good and well wanting to have a setup that looks pretty but practicality and animal requirement have to come first. They need fresh clean water in a container that they can fit into, thats the water requirements, the most practical way of achieving it is a bowl of water.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000