Heating with bulbs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  17:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I heat my two vivs with blue spot light bulbs, stated with a B1 Microclimate dimmer stat each. They are in the back left corner of the vivs at a diagnal, with the probe under the area that the light hits most (1/3 in from the left). But I'm unhappy with the light they emmit (being winter the lights are sometimes on at night) at night, and am getting two ceramic light bulbs with fittings (straight down, not diagnal this time) and was wondering where abouts to attach them?
It could be like this:

Which is best? Or is there a better position?

Also, is it okay to use my two microclimate dimmer stats with the new ceramics? I heard something about 'pusle' stats, but I don't know what they are.. I know that people do use dimmer stats on ceramics, but wanted you lot's take on it

Thanks!! x

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  18:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pointing down heats the ground under the bulb, snakes absorb a lot of heat through their belly. I would have thought that would be the best way to do it. Pointing sideways is just heating the air and will make creating a gradient more difficult.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Pointing down heats the ground under the bulb, snakes absorb a lot of heat through their belly. I would have thought that would be the best way to do it. Pointing sideways is just heating the air and will make creating a gradient more difficult.

Thank you, will do that then
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  22:53:27  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
straight down, and your dimmer will be fine on a ceramic :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000