New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Horse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  13:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin has just shed for thr fist time since i got him in mid Dec. He showed all the signs and have found the shed skin about 3 pieces.

It his feed day tomorrow (Saturday).

Should i fed him as usual, and when i will be alright to handle him again? (obviously leave it for 48 hrs as usual)

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am by no means an expert, quite a newbie - but I do know that it's fine to feed once they've shed so can answer this one! :)

Great news on a good 1st shed - you have to check the eyecaps and tail have shed properly. :)

Go to Top of Page

Horse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re eye caps..the head'shed'..no pun...was aal in one piece and from what i can tell is aperfect outline and contours of Colin's body...is this how it should be?

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that's right - and you should be able to see the shed where the eyes would be, ie there should be 'skin'?? there, not holes. I hope this is making sense lol! Corno has only shed twice, and both times we've had to help her after her not getting anywhere after being left for a few days - and both times the only bit which did come off perfectly without any help was the head piece lol!

I'm definitely going to try putting a damp hide in for her next time she goes into blue, hopefully she'll manage on her own!

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feed mine as normal once they shed. Even during the blue/ shed process they eat fine. Congratulations on your first shed! Sounds exactly how it should be :)

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  16:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrats on your first shed =] Mine had his yesterday too, is there any rule to how long they should be left before handling again? or will i be ok to handle him today?
Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh and Colin is an awsome name!
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  17:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres no harm in handling them after a shed. i tend to feed mine tho as they're generally starving. although be warned it will be a very zippy snake

Go to Top of Page

Falice
Yearling

United Kingdom
757 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  17:55:16  Show Profile  Visit Falice's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ohgod lol. i tried to feed him wednesday as i didn't realise he was going to shed, i was gunna wait until tomoro or sunday cuz its only been a couple of days, but do u think i should try tonight instead? x
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  19:57:11  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on the first shed. It will be fine to handle Colin whenever you like and feed him as usual. All of mine are happy to be handled and will feed when in shed so there's no great hard and fast rules, just be guided by your snake. Glad it was all ok.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  21:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cannot wait for my two to shed! great name x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Horse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tell me about it...jesus.... i put Colin in a small tank so as to clean out his viv and he moved like grease lightening and nearly got out....
quote:
Originally posted by Casta

theres no harm in handling them after a shed. i tend to feed mine tho as they're generally starving. although be warned it will be a very zippy snake

Go to Top of Page

Horse
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  15:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he still has a small piece on his tail about 1 cm long so will keep an eye on that, though at the moment he doesnt like being handled. have put a furry in for him though he has buried himself in the sub......Am going to put all the bits of his shed together, (CSI here i come) along with a pic and frame it for a mate who is scared of snakes...warped or what...lol

Thanks for all the advice.........

Edited by - Horse on 07/01/2012 15:55:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000