if a snake has a fall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  00:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I'm almost definitely completely over-reacting, but want to check, just in case, you know...

sharon was just waggling in and out between my fingers, went round my wrist and doubled back on herself and sort of over-balanced and slid off before i could do anything about it. (It might even have been on purpose, cos usually she twists her tail round a finger like an anchor..) It was only about 3-4 inches down but she landed on the keyboard and it made quite a 'thunk'. she seems okay- she carried on pootling abput afterwards as if nothing had happened, but it made me think- when people fall we absorb the shock by putting our hands out, and the 'spring' action in yr joints takes the jolt and protects against damage... snakes dont have anything to absorb the fall- their whole body takes it- might she have hurt herself? if she has, what kind of behaviour would give it away? what do sore snakes do? hide i guess, but she does that quite a lot anyway......I keep thinking about how many ribs she has in there and that she might have cracked ribs
sorry about long wittering neurosis... but we've had a turbulent start to snake-keeping in this house, so i'm a bit precious about her....

is my snake alright?

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  00:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she's a dinky, corns tend to spring back quite well. both my young ones managed to have a fall (not from me i might add)but were completely fine afterwards. considering on was from a 6ft high bloke who has been severely reprimanded for it, i think a couple of inches will do no harm

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  01:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt worry my snakes fall off their branches all the time, they are remarkably clumsy, a small fall will do them no harm at all, I even had my corn do a suicide jump from my hands and it fell about 4 feet onto carpet, it did no harm even though I dont recommend allowing it to happen and felt awful and worried for weeks.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  01:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for the reassurance- rationally I know that she's probably fine, as you've both said.
I'll just be watching her especially closely when she comes out for a walk tomorrow -

...and i'll keep a cushion on the desk under my hands, in case of 'suicide jumps'!

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  10:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we went to get Cornelius from shop, guy who works there put him on counter in a little RUB, walked past him, caught him & he fell on floor still in his RUB.

I was really worried about him but he's been fine & we've had him since mid Oct last yr. He didn't seem affected by his fall at all. Needless to say, I was annoyed at chap tho!

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They tend to bounce, no need to worry most of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're pretty hardy snakes and incredicbly clumsy. Obviously I'd keep an eye on them if they fall a significant height say maybe more than 4ft.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  17:25:25  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
really wouldnt worry compared to what they would face out in the big wide world a bump on a keyboard from 4 inch is a breeze
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000