New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive had crackle for about 3 months now and shes never had a full shed, when i picked her up from the last owner they said they hadnt kept any so i dont know what it was like before i got her either so just a bit worried really.
Shes shed twice with me and is 20 months old roughly 3 ft long and weighs round about 250 g when i last weighed her if that makes a differance.
Her first shed came off in 3 parts this happened 9 weeks after we got her and she shed again one month to the day since the last shed and it came off in random patches and a strip down her back
she has loads of plants,wicker and logs to rub her self on too im just confused really the other 4 snakes all shed fine but all in seperate vivs/rubs so i know the food quality is good and she put on 50g in 2 months could it be cause she put a large amount of weight on ? If not what could this be due to ? Shes got a large water bowl she can fit into but doesnt go in it and she wont use a damp hide either x Thanks for any help

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple of pics of the last shed

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  18:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Crackle next starts the the shedding process raise humidity in the whole vivarium, the shed in the picture looks crackly (appropriate name) and dry. You can spray the plants (not the floor), put a damp face cloth over a hide and keep it clean and damp. You dont need to mess with humidity for the rest of the time but during a shed you need to raise humidity for this snake as its struggling to shed. Dont worry too much if it comes off in a few pieces its only if its in tatters or not off the snake completely that you can consider it a bad shed.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  19:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, the shed is quite rubbery like my other snakes shed but it is quite dry too, ill try the face cloth trick, hopefully it will help her a lot. Thank you :)

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  19:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even easier, shred up some kitchen roll, dampen it, I mean lightly dampen it so it doesn't dintergrate, lightly ring it out and put it in their warm hide when they are blue. Just sounds easier but LB's way is just as good.
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  19:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks x

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  20:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Becky_Ben

she wont use a damp hide

Damp paper towel in the hide may stop a snake that doesn't like damp hides from properly regulating their body temperature. The cloth over the hide still gives them somewhere dry to go but raises the humidity in that area a smidge. It doesn't sound like you will need a vast amount of extra humidity, my corn is the same, he sheds pretty much unassisted at all but will rip and get bits stuck occasionally, the cloth trick has stopped this, I now get perfect sheds every time.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  14:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking she might not use it so was going to put an extra hide in the warm end but then thought well she isnt likley to use the wet one if given the choice lol very confusing, im gonna try the damp face cloth i think on the hide x

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  15:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or easier yet, move the waterdish ontop of the heatmat, move the hide too so it's slightly on the mat and then the water will evaporate, and the humiditity will slowly rise, make sure you change it every day and move it back afterwards, obviously.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000