New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  20:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I moved Falco into the 30x30x30cm exo terra on Wednesday, thinking at 5 months old he'd be big enough for his new home. I've checked on him the last 2 days, he's not moved at all. So today I decided to put him back in his little box for another few weeks. I felt so awful when I got him out and discovered he was blue! Poor little thing completely blind in his new home, no wonder he never moved

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  20:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he wouldnt have moved because he was blue, not because he was moved housing. snakes take time to settle into new housing so them not moving even when not blue is normal so isnt ideal to continually move him cause he doesnt look like hes moved.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  21:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as they feed, shed and poop they're generally happy, so to speak. I'm he wouldn't have been fussed being moved to a new one.
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  21:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do feel like an idiot, and should have known better I think it's just that I was so worried about moving him in the first place, he took so long to settle when I first got him and missed feeds etc, so when I put him in on Wed I instantly regretted it as he looked so lost in there. I guess you learn from your mistakes, and hopefully leaving him now until after he sheds will give him time to get over the messing about.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not being funny, but he probably wasn't that bothered by being moved in the 1st place, so no need to beat yourself up. He was only inactive due to shedding.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  13:53:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But some snakes don't really move a lot anyway... shed or not ect :P Mine spends her life in her poatoes no matter what size she is in.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  18:57:00  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awww.....don't feel too guilty. Just give it a bit longer if you're concerned.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  12:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'm sure I just give myself things to worry about with the snakes. Falco had a full shed this morning, and is out and about looking for his dinner

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  01:11:10  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I presume you mean the 30x30x30cm glass ExonTerra terrarium? If so I've kept Bailey, my 6mth old anery lavender in one of these for a good few months now and he seems perfectly happy. It took him a week or so to settle in, which is completely normal, but after that he settled in and is generally now found climbing around his vines and ivy.

I know when he's in blue because he goes into hiding for about 10 days, again completely normal, it doesn't mean he doesn't like his Exo Terra, it's just what snakes do.

I'd put Falco back into his new terrarium and leave him for a couple of weeks to settle. He might miss/refuse a few feeds, but it won't do him any harm.

I know it's hard not to worry, especially when they are so small, but corns are a lot more hardy than you think.

One thing I would advise, if it is an Exo Terra glass terrarium that you're using, is to make sure that you block of the bits at the top of the terrarium for the probe wires to go through, as even when the slides are completely closed, there is still a small gap. One of my friends harvest mice managed to escape through this gap, granted that was in a 45x45x45 Exo Terra terrarium, but it's still better to be cautious, you'd be amazed at the tiniest gaps that hatchling corns can squeeze through. I tightly packed cotton wool into the spaces, completely covering the slide and then used tape to hold it in place (on the outside so that there is no chance of the snake ever coming into contact with the tape).

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  17:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip on the probe wire sliding cover Thistle, I'd never have thought it would be a means of escape
Yes it is a 30x30x30cm exo terra, so I might put him in and try again when I can handle him (he's just eaten). It would be nice to get the use of it before it's outgrown, Voldemort was only in it for 6 weeks and needed more room.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000