Safe sealant...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JackSnake
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  20:31:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, long time since ive been on here but need some help/advice.
After finishing my custom viv with cabinet i would like to add a bit of decor. Ive been researching on how to make certain items but i need pointing in direction..
I would like to seal a combined rockface and removable bowl (which would be his drinking bowl.
Ive read up on using water based paints etc but what sealer would i use? A spray sealer would be best if possible?
Thanks for any help...

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  21:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By seal, is it something silicone could do? If so, aquarium silicone is good I think, no anti-fungals and stuff. I would have thought waterbased paint would have reduced to a sticky mess the minute water touches it, but I could be wrong :>
Go to Top of Page

JackSnake
Snake Mite

12 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2011 :  21:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure if you covered the drinking dish with silicone it would be safe for the snake to drink out of? I know to use the aqua silicone for vivs but didn't know if could be used for drinking/intake purposes?
With reguards to the paint, once painted then seal it so water couldnt get to the paint if you get that? What paint would you think i could use otherwise?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  00:47:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
acrylic sealant is safe once dried (hardly any fumes whilst curing too) and it can be painted and varnished without the paint pooling (water based floor varnish is good)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  08:52:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am a little lost, acrylic paint when dry is waterproof. I think your own about varnish, I know some people use yacht varnish but it is probably worth a gander at the dark side as lots of people make custom backgrounds and waterbowls there and get asked many questions.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 30/12/2011 08:52:38
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  20:03:30  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not paint, this stuff: http://www.wickes.co.uk/frame-acrylic-sealant/invt/156708/

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  22:33:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
But that paint is water proof :P Just a bit confused weather he meant sealant as in sticking one thing to another or sealing joints or to cover a large area. Think I probably read wrong *_*

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000