Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 My corn snake behaviour...PLEASE HELP!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2011 :  23:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I would appreciate some help....

I am a first time corn snake owner...my corn snake is female and just over a year old.

Whenever i slide the glass door on her viv she comes out from hiding rather rapidly and heads towards my hand....i remove my hand and close the door.

ANY IDEAS WHY SHE MIGHT DO THIS???? Im scared especially as she has grown some what that she is in "attack mode" or something!

For example i put a small mouse in and she seemed to head straight past it to get to me or the opened door im not sure which then headed for the mouse!

I dont handle her half as much as i should due to my shift work and having to leave her alone for 48 hours after a feed etc...im worried she is becoming a bit wild or something LOL

Many points to answer i know...

I look forward to some help/feedback..

Cheers
Mikey

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  01:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm not an expert but I think I have a few tips. You need to be confident when handling it will make her uncomfortable if she can sense you being hesitant. If your not able to handle her as much, she may be associating you with feeding time so you need to try and make more time with her to let her get used to to you again. Also you may want to think about feeding her outside of her viv in a tupperware container so that she starts to know that everytime you open the door it doesn't mean shed getting a meal!
Hope this helps.

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  08:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mikey,

I'd do what Midge suggested & start feeding her outside her viv so she doesn't associate u putting your hand in with her being fed.

Or, she could just be being very friendly & want to be handled by you as soon as you put your hand in!

It would be good (& better) if u could start handling her more coz it'll get her used to you & it doesn't have to be for a great length of time either...

Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  10:21:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She is also probably learning that when she comes at you like that it makes you go away so she keeps doing it. You really need to be brave and if she comes like that just keep the door open and wait to see what she does. She might just be trying to make a break for freedom, in which case I would let her head come out and then just slide your hand under and while you are making sure she cant get away you can scoop up the rest of her. If she is going for you then you are going to have to be extra brave and go to pick her up anyway. I really wouldn't worry about her biting you. They don't often bite and when they do it doesn't really hurt much. Just makes you jump a bit.
You could also start feeding her in a seperate tub just to put your mind at rest that she isn't thinking you are dinner.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  10:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
she could be abit viv defensive because she isnt being handled as much and like all the others have said you feed her in her tank his maybe also another factor....

i have a 3ft normal that was like this and its turned out that one of the factors was that i was feeding him inside his viv. when i read about this problem I picked up a little tip on here where you leave something with your scent in one of her hides so the snake feel that you are there most of the time... that may also help.

also while you wait for the food to defrost make time to handle her for a little while before you put her in a separate box ( i use the old exo terra faun that i bought him in)

Edited by - mkmattyk on 15/12/2011 10:29:24
Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  10:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like we make feeding a set day like mine is a Sunday, I make sure that by Tuesday both my snakes have been held and then just take 10 minutes each day to give em a stretch about. Sometimes I just go and pick them up during an advert break on the tellie or while im waiting for something to cook and then put them straight back, just so their being picked up, I dont worry about holding them for any length of time because I can do that when I have an amount of spare time.

All these little pick ups & holds build up to being a bit more of a confident owner and a less nervous snake. Basically I can hold my snake for as long as I like, while I can get it out of the box, but I aint got no hope of holding it if im too scared to pick it up. So start at the beginning, picking it up, giving it a stroke and putting it back.

I feed mine in the viv but I know where your coming from, I was very scared of my corn a few weeks back, every time I lifted her house up I thought she was going to eat me plus I hadnt really interacted with her for a bit...then I watched SnakeBytesTV and I see Satan. Now I look at my cornsnake and laugh. I use barbecue tongs to feed that I have decorated with bright yellow electrical tape, I had hopes they would associate the yellow tongs with food and not with me, got to say ive never been bit by my corn yet :)

Good luck and dont be nervous, remember if it happens itll be quick and like sandpaper...
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  21:55:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
chances are she has no interest whatsoever in you and is just seeing an escape chance with the door open.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  09:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a corn that from the start as a hatchie has always made a bee line for my hand. He's not aggressive at all though,just seems to be very nosy and have no fear (he wouldn't last 5 minutes in the wild bless him). He also comes stright up to the glass when its opened,myself I think its just a movement thing and them checking things out. He's actually the friendliest snake I own.
I know its easier said then done,but your best of just going in and picking her up. Chances are she won't bite but even if she did its the smallest of scratches and doesn't hurt.

PS. The corn I've spoken about gets fed out of his viv so in his case its nowt to do with where he's fed.
I have an adult kingsnake that was always fed in his viv before I got him. I feed him in the viv too and he knows the difference between feed time and any other (theres no way my hand goes inside the viv at feed time lol). If you use tongs at feed time then I don't see there being an issue with feeding her in the viv.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

coxymk2
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1245 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2011 :  15:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little boy lives in a faun so i have always let him make his own way out up and over my hand was wary at first but so nosy that he smelt my hand for a min thenup he came. Remember he is more scared of you attacking or biting is a defensive mechanism.

0.0.1 ANERY (Liquorice)
0.0.1 CAROLINA (Bangle)
0.0.1 AMEL (Boozer)
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  22:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI all,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my questions...it is greatly appreciated as this is the only real lifeline i have for snake care because none of my mates own a snake!

I will take on board all your comments and try to handle her more often and try feeding her out of her viv.

Another thing...i always wait until she comes out from under her hide to get her out but the problem is she only seems to come out when shes hungry so i dont get much opportunity to get her out...

So should i just lift the log and reach in and get her out???

Mikey
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  22:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for it

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  22:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Oscar for the reply...will build up the courage lol
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  00:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those in the know will tell you it doesn't actually hurt at all, it's purely cos snakes are so quick it's scary, but really, teeth are fairly small. To be honest, it's just like rasping yourself with some sandpaper I suppose is the best analagy I can give.. Honestly nothing to worry about.

BUT don't be telling everyone that, us snakekeepers need to look tough

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

mikeymike
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  00:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HA HA HA well i will try look tough then! Thanks alot for the advice much appreciated :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000