New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  19:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went into a pet shop the other day.. my mates interested in breeding so we went to look at the corns. We wondered in and asked to have a look... The room with the reptiles was pretty stingy, saw some royals in 3x1 vivs with nothing more than newspaper, about 20 budgies in a 2x1 cage, but then we got to the corns, these were on a shelf.. in i'd say 18"x18" plastic boxes? i know corns are pretty hardy but a fully grown adult corn shoved into a small box? the first snake was pretty angry ( dont blame it ) rattling its tail and stuff, and the guy was pretty rough with it, grabbed its head etc. there must have been 4-5 corns like this all shoved in tiny boxes with just newspaper. he got one out that had a strange (largish) lump near the start of its tail. I was told it was due to owners keeping their snakes in a temperature thats too cold but could be removed if the temperature was increased, begged the question.. 'why not warm the temperature up?' there were about 20 hatchlings in a smallish box aswell, none of these animals had any real substrate.. i know its not needed but it looks nice, hides wouldnt go a miss either. RANT OVER but yeah, does anyone have any idea what the standards are like?

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!

jaseargonaut12
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  19:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that sounds absolutly discusting, would it not be worth speaking with the RSPCA about the conditions, cause surely it would be classed as animal cruelty.

and yes he will have to have a licence for running a pet shop, which are delt with by the local council, i would deffo give them a ring aswell
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  20:59:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
although most places breeders included keep hatchies in small rubs on newspaper and kitchen roll but the treatment and handling of them is something altogether different.

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  06:50:41  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
where i got sonny from there corns were kept very well, the hatchlings had a little hide, and the employees (even one bloke who said he didnt like snakes got her out for us!) were more than happy to let us come in a repetidly handle her after we put the eposit down! where do u live? cos most of the animals here are in great condition

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  09:55:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why the hell is your mate interested in breeding corns lol unless he has something amazing lined up. Lumps can be many things, poop, tumor, skin infection, fat lumps... none of which increasing the temp would help unless it was a massivepoopit needed. Many breeders keep their animals with newspaper and no hides, I guess because the box is arealdy small and dark? I guess its something youd have to ask a proper breeder about.

My nearest one to me at home I don't like, mainly because they mislabel corns and always loose hatchlings! Like every week they get a hatchie loose and they are kept in RUBs. Also I dislike them as they don't give nearly enough info for the parrots they sell. Selling them as "cuddly tame" without explaining once they reach 5 they will attack anyone who is not their fav person. Also another one near me everyone rants and raves about how it's so amazing. I dislike it there as they keep different animal together which would be fine if they had the same living conditions but these animals don't. Also the people they serve there put me off.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ravensgirl
Hatchling

123 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  13:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a fine balance between not giving a snake enough room and giving it so much room it becomes sacred and insecure but that place sounds atrotious

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  15:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i live in surrey, there is a fine balance, but a 4ft + snake in a tiny box isnt too good in my opinion. staple, just for the money i guess, he works in a pet shop already that he can sell them to.. dont ask me why haha, but yeah the pet shop is also giving wrong advice in that case

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  18:16:31  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
this pet shop is in trow, wilts so... maybe not lol

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly