New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cwilloughby08
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  20:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 3 month old corn and i have had him about 3 weeks. On tuesday he went into his first shed (with me) and he has shed about an inch, his head and a little bit down his body has come off but the rest of it hasnt. Im unsure what i should do, some of it has cracked a bit but thats it. Im not quite sure what i should do?

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
let him wiggle through a damp warm towel

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The exact same thing happened with ours, she started to shed just 2 days after we got her! We left her at first but she didn't get any further, so got her out and let her go through some wet kitchen roll... the thing is, I was so worried about hurting her that I didn't really 'do' much just let her slide over it so although a few bits came off it didn't work.... Got her out 2 days later and still the same so tried again - this time I held a bit tighter - not enough to squash her, obviously, but you could really feel her wriggling and pushing against the tissue, she was clearly trying hard! This time we had success and she emerged shiny and beautiful!

I think if it happened again I'd use a towel/face cloth as it would be that little bit rougher so probably easier.

Good luck

Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could put a small tub of damp spagnum moss in with him, he should go init, this will help soften the bits of shed that havnt come of. Leave him a few days to see if he can get it of himself, if it doesn't come of natrally just help him a wee bit by gently rubbing where the shed needs to come of untill you see its started to sort of peel of a bit, hold him gently between your fingers and he should move himself to gently ease it off as he would usually do natrally

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Scaly on this, only had a couple of iffy sheds and a warm damp towel works a treat.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  14:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okeetee Mick/yola/anyone else, I was going to ask about this next time Corno went into blue but may as well ask on this thread as it's been posted - does 1 bad shed mean she will have trouble next time, or may she be fine? Would you advise putting a damp hide in when she goes into blue? Or waiting and just helping again with a towel if necessary?

Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  15:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my snow has had 2 bad sheds with the third being a bit better (half came off perfectly) but then she did have a graze on her tail which i think may have caused some of it. then stuck shed. i wouldn't worry too much. see what the sheds like, most are perfect. if not a warm damp flannel. then the next shed you can put one in just incase. its entirely up to you though, it'll never do any harm

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  15:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
she may be fine. Romeo started off with a few bad sheds, but now he doesnt need moist hides and sheds perfectly

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

cwilloughby08
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  17:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replys. I tried using a warm damp piece of kitchen roll and got some of it off. Will do the same tomorrow and will see how it goes.

If it all doesnt come off will it harm him? I would say its almost half off now at his front end
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  19:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mamma and Casta - and sorry for hijacking your thread cwilloughby (but I figured it was something you may need to know too!!). It is important they shed thoroughly, especially the eye caps and tail tip. Hope the shed is complete for you soon.

Go to Top of Page

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  19:32:15  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A slightly warm bath might help loosen off the remaining shed also. It's important that the shed is removed as retaining shed on the tail tip or eyes can cause damage resulting in them losing an eye or the tail tip. Hope everything goes will with your little snake.

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000