fat or ill?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aboynton
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  20:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Im very new to this website, but am hunting advice about my corn snake. I am not sure if he is just fat or if there is something wrong with him and thought id stop by here before visiting a vet. Sonny(My snake) is about 8 years old and he eats once a week-sometimes he goes a week and a half between feeds when he refuses it the first time. I'd say he poo's arund twice a week and sheds monthly.
What I have noticed that his body is fairly round but his tail is very thin(from his 'bottom hole')down. Im not sure how to post photographs but ill have a go shortly. He does not have any lumps or buldges and his scales are nice and smooth-my concern is that his round body just seems to stop suddenly and a thin tail starts. The local petstore which has a large reptile section recommended the 'correct size' of mice so i dont think he's over fed..but he is quite lazy-could that be making him fat??? I just want to know your thoughts?? and what you would reccomend? Thanks.

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  21:10:35  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to say this before anything else; My snake isn't mature and so I have little practical experience in keeping them yet, however I've read as much as possible to prepare for my snake as it grows.

It sounds as if your snake may be a on the chubby side. Typically a corn should be fed every 10-14 days. I think a snake should flow seamlessly or near-seamlessly into their tails profile.

For a more a look at an overweight corn and information about how to slim (it down if it matches) there's a sticky on this board; http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11891

Hope this helps.

And Welcome to the boards :)

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:26:53  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely have a good read of the link awlred has posted above. Seeing some pics will be useful, but if his body is quite round then it certainly sounds as though he may be chubby...stairs are a good fat burning excercise, as mentioned in the thread shown above. Other than that...move him to feeding fortnightly, this will help him lose weight - feeding an adult once a week also sounds a little excessive.

Others may well come in and offer more advice, but...an 8 year old corn shedding once a month seems rather excessive (i could be wrong, I only have a 15month old corn..but he is now shedding less than once a month), i'm not sure why this might be?!?

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,it does sound from your description that he could be on the portly side.
Theres a sticky here with a guide to getting photo's up:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14057

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  13:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi what size feeds are you currently feeding once a week? An adult corn should ideally be fed once a fortnight, maybe longer. Large size of mouse xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

aboynton
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, im going to cut down his feeds and take accurate monitoring of his shedding patterns. I think more exercise is in order..we dont have any stairs where I live so i'll have to come up with some different exercise to keep him entertained and get him moving. Thanks for the advice!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000