Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 really, what is the need for keeping records?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, yesterday i started filling in a record sheet for flicka when i suddenly thought 'other then if there was any problems and you needed to know details to find out whats wrong, why do you actually need them?' is this the only reasoon, because i didnt think you get that many health related problems with snakes. am i wrong?? plz excuse me if im being an idiot

1.0.0 corn snake - Flicka
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  10:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing it out of interest tbh a reminder of when I last fed him and its good to keep track of length and weight and when he has shed just to show healthy progression & also if something is wrong you have lots of information to turn to.

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily
Go to Top of Page

hannah2016
Hatchling

United Kingdom
294 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  11:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, i guess. i bet seeing how big they got withing like half a year would be quite amazing

1.0.0 corn snake - Flicka
1.0.0 Rainbow Boa - Luna

Go to Top of Page

Midge
Hatchling

United Kingdom
203 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  11:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't measure Naboo for a few weeks but when we got him he was about the length of my forearm so maybe 10 inches and 11g. At the last measurement when he shed a couple of weeks ago he had nearly doubled to 19.5" and is over 20g he isnt 4 months yet! So by 6 months I dread to think how big he will be!

1.0 CB11 Carolina Corn Snake - Naboo
1.0 CB10 Butter Motley Corn Snake - Rudi
0.1 CB09 Amel het Caramel, Stripe - Zumba
1.0 CB12 Phantom - Bollo
0.1 CB12 Diffused Powder - Rosie
0.1 CB12 Hypo Lavender - Lily
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  12:09:40  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't keep records as such, I'm too lazy. If one of them doesn't eat they get a cross written on their tub in dry wipe pen :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  12:19:14  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i record when they eat an crap, dont bother recording temps etc just the main bits

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  12:36:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I only record weight, length, feed and shed dates. I guess people keep them so if something goes wrong they can see what the possible causes where.

For instance i keep a record of which shop i bought each feed mouse from. That way if there is a problem after feeding i can narrow down where the mouse was purchased etc.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  13:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like to record. Love to see how much weight they have put on etc. Im planning on breeding a couple of mine when they are heavy/big enough and the right age. Thats another reason I like to keep records

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:22:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I do weights every so often, length and if they ate their meal or not, when they were cleaned (more to help me remeber when to clean) and like if I notice anything off with them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  16:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I record feed/ refusual dates and the dates that they shed. Nothing fancy, just in a note book I also use to write shopping lists on.

I looked back through them the other week and it brought back some fond memories of some fun feeding times and that time my hoggie first refused a feed and I panicked for the whole week until his next feed. Just reminds me of how far they've grown and how I've gained experience as an owner.

I suppose you don't have to keep a record, but on the off chance something goes wrong, at least I have the information straight on hand should the vet need an insight to my snake's regularity.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  18:51:46  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Records give me peace of mind that if anything is a bit off, I have got the basic information close to hand to help the vet narrow down any problems. I also have a rubbish memory so it means I can check things when I need to. It's also really good to provide records if you ever need to sell your snake so the new owners can see what is normal for that snake.

I record feeding dates/weights/refusals. Manner of feeding for the awkward ones so I can see what works and what doesnt. Pooping. Shedding. When I have cleaned them out/upgraded tanks/moved them around etc. Weigh every month or 2 and measure about every 3-4 months.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2011 :  20:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I record the feed dates,any refusals,sheds (noting if it was a bad one) and weights.
One - because I like to see that they are growing and doing well and two - because I'm a dizzy mare and wouldn't have a clue when they were last fed otherwise.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Yearling

United Kingdom
935 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  01:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used to keep records about poo'ing as well as the usual , but minepooploads , so i now rite when they ate , signs of shed and when they shed and periodic weight and length . there isnt much need i guess , but i love to see how they have grown and how quickly

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  13:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep records as I think it is good practice. I know that if something went wrong the line and they needed to visit the vets, there may be something in the records which may help which I would have forgotten about. Also my record sheet reminds me how many days until feed day which helps as they are all staggered.

Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  14:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
definately helps if not feeding once a week such as with the hatchies and their pinks. also sheds (how good/bad they were) and weights and measurements where possible. i also note what they are feeding on (casta now on fuzzies) but really its to help me remember when to feed and how old they are. i just like to know how they change

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  16:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is nice to record sheds and weights even if just to look back and see how they,ve come along, its also useful for odd behaviour patterns and dodgy sheds !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  22:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hannah2016

so, yesterday i started filling in a record sheet for flicka when i suddenly thought 'other then if there was any problems and you needed to know details to find out whats wrong, why do you actually need them?' is this the only reasoon, because i didnt think you get that many health related problems with snakes. am i wrong?? plz excuse me if im being an idiot

You can get plenty of health issues with snakes, and i can tell you as a vet, I am going to ask you - when did it last eat, what did it eat, when was the last shed, what are the temperatures, has anything changed in the viv, has it regurged - if so when, are the faeces and urates normal, has it lost or gained a lot weight recently?

If you have 1 snake you may well know that without records. If you have a lot, you won't remember it, you'll need it written down!
Go to Top of Page

tona
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  06:52:38  Show Profile  Send tona an AOL message  Click to see tona's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wasn't really sure about what to record, the breeder i bought mine from just recorded when he had eaten and shed, so that's all i record :)
Go to Top of Page

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  19:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't record I'm too lazy then again, I only have one snake so I can remember when he shed and fed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000