Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Pets at Home about to sell corn snakes near me....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  17:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went into Pets at Home today where I live and there gonna start doing Corn Snakes...
I saw the display there going to use..... They are using small RuB's they drilled holes in to the boxes did not even rub down the holes to get rid of the jagged areas's also the air holes were just on one side of the box as well.
I told one of the staff about it and I asked who was going to look after the corns and they said they are training someone up at the moment to deal with them because no one knows what to do...
So that means they putting some inexperienced little kid to deal with snakes....
I will be phoning the RSPCA as soon as they get the snakes in...

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  17:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So going by your theory all new snake keepers should be reported to the RSPCA as they have no experience.

Should be giving these places the benefit of the doubt at first before jumping on them. Our PAH have been selling beardies for a while now and while the advice they give is not always correct the conditions they are kept in as of a suitable standard.

Edited by - gmac on 26/11/2011 17:29:35
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  17:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I would maybe offer some of my experience to the person picked, leave my telephone number. I no way claim to know everything but I'm sure they would benefit from even a quick talk from a keeper of corn snakes.

The Pets at Home in Belfast is a good shop, it can be expensive for things but give good prices on other things. The animals they have are in good condition, always clean and they also take in unwanted animals too.

Did you get training before you started looking after snakes, if not that inexperienced kid is one step ahead of you and me when I first started keeping snakes. Silly post without any thought, the only thing you have seen is an incomplete set up been sorted out without the animals been there. That's surely a good thing.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  19:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Gmac tbh they are meant to be one of the largest pet stores and if they cant even get the rubs sorted what chance do they have with anything else. if someone with no experience went into there what chance do they have all they are gonna get is bad advice.
If any STORE is selling anything pets cars or w.e they should have experience in what they are selling.
and I was going on by my branch from what was in there that I saw.
And tbh no one should take any animal on with out some basic knowledge they did not know anything.
Sorry if you dont agree with my post or what I wrote

Edited by - Loopholes on 26/11/2011 19:34:14
Go to Top of Page

Thante
Hatchling

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  19:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Thante's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Pets at Home in Wrexham has had snakes for almost a year now i think. Been in and had a look, apart from being overpriced i couldn't see anything immediately wrong. I took a look at there little free advice thing on snakes and although short had no wrong information in it. It did say that you needed heat lamps, but i think thats them just trying to sell more stuff.
I also get mice there every now and again (only when i can't get to my local rep shop) and they seem to be absolutely fine as well. I just don't like that they sell them in individually sealed black bags, i like to see what i'm buying even when its dead mice, and its a waste of packaging.

I don't really like buying stuff from Pets at home, but thats just because i like to support my small local pet and reptile shops. Not because i've seen any evidence of neglect or mistreating. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, i've just never seen any.

0.1.0 Cherry - 09 Normal
1.0.0 Tequila - 09 Caramel Motley
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  19:57:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't rub down the holes in my RUBs either, i'm a bad bad man :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  20:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Me neither!! AND I only put air holes in the lids of tubs, not the sides.

Seriously though- why are on earth are you complaining? They are training someone to deal with the reptiles. I got as far as a work assessment with PaH, and they really do take training and animal welfare seriously. The manuals for each training "step" are huge, and staff are assigned a section according to their experience. Obviously they have no one with experience, so they are training someone....

I 100% fail to see the problem in that.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 26/11/2011 20:48:41
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  20:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i did the air holes for my crestie, i did lots of them. AND sanded any sharp bits tsk on you others!
(any excuse to post that i have my crestie now lol)

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 26/11/2011 23:34:42
Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I must be in the wrong for stating what I saw and being disgusted in the way it was set up and the inexperience way of the staff.
For all the other PaH you guys must be lucky then,
Dunno why I bother caring then.
Its all good I wont waste peoples time by posting anymore here.
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont even GIVE mine air holes so it's fine! Snakes dont need to breath much do they??

Nah i joke, but if the are training people then it's all good. Refrain from calling the RSPCA just yet lol. In a pet shop about an hour from me (not my local), I walked in to find somebody spraying the beardies haha. Apparently it's a daily thing :P

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are entilte to be disgusted but what was said is that you have no reason to be disgusted as what you describe doesn't sound bad at all. I have seen stuff and been disgusted before now but with the full picture it actually is that I've just had the wrong end of the stick (I saw a really sick snake in a reptile shop, couldn't believe it was there, I asked what was wrong with it and he had rescued that animal and had spent a fortune in vet fees to save its life).

haven't rubbed down the jagged bits. = RUB plastic is so soft it poses no risk if the air holes are a little rough about the edges.

Air holes only on one side. = The side air holes are additional as the lids on RUB's are not air tight and can be used without additional airholes.

No snakes in the shop as no one has been trained yet. = Makes sense to be to have staff trained in their care before they arrive.

Training staff to look after them. = They have to learn somewhere, they are unlikely to employ a new member of staff purely on the fact they are experienced reptile keepers.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its getting a bit heated here :O

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  21:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh no no no, fair explanation is all, heated TCS style has the mods deleting mass swearword attacks all night. lol.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2011 :  22:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

oh no no no, fair explanation is all, heated TCS style has the mods deleting mass swearword attacks all night. lol.

still have nightmares about that lol, therapy is working though :)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  00:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Did i post in my sleep???? I dont remember!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  00:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No its wasn't you this time, plus 'moron moron moron moron' wouldn't be deleted.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  00:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:

I haven't put ANY airholes in ANY of my rubs.
I must be the worst then.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  00:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

quote:

Thats because intelligent people realise that a rub doesnt need air holes!!!

bob, i think if i called someone a moron, it would have been contested, maybe next time though!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  00:48:04  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sharp edges = a good place to rub on to start a shed ;)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  01:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

quote:

bugger, but i always knew i was a bit thick! crestie rub has plenty holes

Thats because intelligent people realise that a rub doesnt need air holes!!!

bob, i think if i called someone a moron, it would have been contested, maybe next time though!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  01:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mods can you lock this thread, it just reads as a ****take. Theres no need for all the criticism really... Just leave it be.

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000