Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Pets at Home about to sell corn snakes near me....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2011 :  10:42:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
RSPCA do diddly **** for all animals including reptiles unless they can take someone to court. Just so you have reference, council can only do something or complaining to P@H head office.

Nothing wrong with using RUBs, a lot of reptile shops use RUBs as do breeders. I also never sanded around my drilled holes, my corns used them to start getting their shed off. At least pets at home are trying to train people, it seems in my opionion that the most experinced reptile shops and owners around here know a ton about big snakes like burms, redtails and stuff but know diddly on corns so try and sell the bigger snakes so seeing someone at least trining for corns is a welcome site. Also there will be no kids, pets at home have a very strong policy on the age that they sell to, heck they even quiz you on goldfish now and your setup so maybe one one day they will do the same with reps.

I'm not a huge fan of pets at home as they always seem to have a massive outbreak of fish that are diseased but they do quarteen them or at least attempt, but their other animals are always clean.

You say they should have expereince in what animals they sell, I agree but that's kinda what the training is for, so they do know. To be hontest, these trained staff will probably know a lot more than the expereince reptile shops near me as I have said, because most expereinced places only really know how to handle big snakes or other demaninding reptiles rather than the bog standard corn or anything that can live happily forever on a heatmat.

Also viv vents only have a couple of holes in one side :P

Look at the plus side dude, if they sell snakes that means they are going to have a reptile vet in or very close to the pets at home soon of which, I've heard give fab treatment. In fact, I am rather jealous I wish ours would sell snakes so I could get a proper rep vet near me.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  15:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My P@H near me a really good. Theve had the corns in for about 7months now, they always let me have a peak at them all as I just cant help myself lol, they sell them for £45 and there all about 7months old and a good size, they get there colours all wrong but thats about it. I brought my pewter from there as they were advertising it as a gost lol, bargain. Im keeping an eye out for any other morph ones too lol.
Iv also brought 2 morph baby geckos from there too, and tbh they had everything they needed in there even the pot of calcium dust, I got a Rainwater and a blazzing blizzard for under £80. We get our stuff cheaper from there as my stepson and his feancie work at diffrent stores (20% of), and they get trained on everythin and anything and even get sent away for the training. Iv never seen a problem with there animal tbh.
There setup obviously isn't ready and probley not finised either, they wont sell any snakes untill they have staff there that have passed the appropriate courses.

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

manda88
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1002 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  16:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pets at Home sometimes have some realy gems in the reptile sections, I've seen people on various forums post pics of gorgeous crestie morphs that they've found in there for a bargain! My local one is horrendous though, I'm in the process of email their head office to raise some issues, the advice they give out is diabolical.
As for calling the RSPCA, you may as well call a plumber, they'd probably do a better job than the RSPCA ever will

Wanna know what animals I keep? Check out www.facebook.com/mnmreptiles :)

Go to Top of Page

nova1990
Yearling

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2011 :  19:49:28  Show Profile  Click to see nova1990's MSN Messenger address  Send nova1990 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i cant fault the pets at home near me. i think theyre pretty good. i even brought my bearded dragon from there and i havent had any problems with him.

Corn Snake - Ayame
Mexican Black Kingsnake - Ryuzaki
Bearded Dragon - Puff
Salmon pink Tarantula - Olivia
Antilles pinktoe Tarantula - MossChops

Ipswich, Suffolk
Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2011 :  23:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my concerns were right.
I went in there today to see the corns and there new set up.
They have been in there just over a week now.
And the rubs were caked in snake poop...
One even had a regurge in the box, they looked about 2-3 months old and were feeding them in the same rub with aspen bedding.
I even clocked the temp at around 24-25degrees on the hot end.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2011 :  00:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see them feeding them? Lots of people feed them in where they live.

It may have just been a day or two after feeding, if so its about right that there be poo, they clean out on mornings before opening (I have a friend who is a Manager at PAH), probably before corn snakes are out of bed. The regurge is unlucky but again it may have just happened, got a bit stressed or something.

My local PAH has just today got in a stock of corn snake hatchlings, like you I will be keeping an eye on them and oh boy are they overpriced and their waterbowls and hides are too big but nothing overly neglectful and I have passed this info on to my friend who will pass this info on to the branch in question (my friends branch doesn't have them).

If I was you I would ask to speak tot he manager, they will happily come speak to you. I've actually told my friend if they need anything to contact me, I don't know everything but I'd like to think I know enough to be of assistance.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2011 :  11:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Many feed thei snake in the same tub with aspen, its kinda of a grey area really.

If your not happy, find the heda office on their site and complain, or manager as bob said. How on earth did you see the temp for them? Every petshops and pets at home I go to have their cables and probes really nearly hidden away and the readers lol.

My local branch gets them in the new year, I asked for jobs but they aren't employing new people so its all the old ladies there that will be handling them, not to say that they will be bad at it they just probably aren't used to snake and maybe not even really like them. I will sure to look and tell them if I feel if something is wrong but it may take a while before they are used to having the animals in store. I'm just kinda looking forward to the fact there maybe a really good vet close to me now because if they sell all kinds of reptiles and furries, there has to be a vet nearby to treat them.

Go to Top of Page

Loopholes
Egg

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2011 :  20:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@lotabob I hear what you saying but the poo was defo more than a couple of days ago thats for sure, i know my 2 like a good poop a day or so after feed but it was proper caked.

And Sta~pie the main concern with the aspen I have and is prob me was the corn snakes didnt look older than say 2-3 months so maybe its just a sore point with me that they are too young to feed with the aspen. I know to some of the members here it seems I have over reacted and some of you have some really good PaH near you and I wish the one near me was like the ones you guys are raving about and I wish it was just simple issues as marking them up as wrong morphs but when you walk in and you see this stuff it shocks me and I get upset guess I am mad for seeing poor snakes being kept like that and expecting stores to treat there stock with a little more respect than they got.
You walk in and the lovely fluffy bunnies and the hamsters and stuff are all lovely in there nice clean cages and there prestine straw and stuff and then they get reptiles and think its alright to do this.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  11:53:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
All you can do is complain to head office or the manager, they may not be aware of a problem at all. Plus I don't know if its just like 1 group of people they have at p@h hire to train all stores in reptiles or if they find then hire a local person to train, so the employees may think they are doing right by what ever training they have had. I've seen many reptile shops have their rubs caked in poo too, it's disgusting and these shops get away with it more. P@H in the other hand always seem to be carefully monitored by a bunch of people so if there is something wrong and they don't know and you tell them, it is in their best interest to sort it out before others complain and get other groups of people involved.

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  19:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you have over reacted at all, you have seen something of concern and voiced your opinion, good for you. You have to accept that people have the right to voice their opinions also. Certainly my experience of my local PAH is of a spotlessly clean store and animals kept in excellent conditions, however the knowledge of the staff always leaves me cold.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  21:50:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Loopholes

...I even clocked the temp at around 24-25degrees on the hot end.

my hot ends are sometimes that temperature too

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2011 :  18:07:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I went to a store yesterday in Nottingham that had hatchie corns :3 (went in looking for massive parrot toys lol) there was a dude there handling them and telling people info and offering them to hold them. He seemed like a good man, he has a cali king himself. Looked like they kept them breeder style with lidless tubs and shelfs and all looked clean and healthy the ones I saw :D Shame I forgot to ask about if they are getting any companion care vets there though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000