New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit worried! Tonight was Pablos feeding night and upon opening his rub i was scared to find his stick covered in mould. His rub isn't damp and temps are ok (29 hot end, 22 approx cold end) and there was nothing on/in the substrate. Needless to say he was taken out and an emergency thorough clean and substrate change were carried out!

He seems to be ok and took his pinky fine as normal but we'll keep an eye on him for a bit incase it's affected him. Is there anything to look out for? Any advice?

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention the stick was bought from blue lizard reptiles as an exo terra small stick so i trust it was prepared correctly. We only had him out 2 days ago and rachel has been doing his water change daily and hadnt spotted anything so it seems to have developed quite quick

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a pic of the mould?
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:38:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huffy_86

....an exo terra small stick so i trust it was prepared correctly......

assume nothing lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry no pics but it was like a light furry layer with a green tinge in places... almost looked like a thick coating of dust/cobweb type material.

It's definitely put me off anything but artificial decs from now on!

Go to Top of Page

boogles
Hatchling

131 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  12:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
corn snakes live in the wild... Im fairly sure theres mould out there. he/she will be fine.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just boil your stick and give it a scrub it will be fine. Probably just got a bit damp at some point and mould spores are in the air and settled on the stick. I had a mould attack in my gecko viv last month, Just cleaned it up and Bobs your father's brother. Didn't have any ill effect on the Gecko either.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  13:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too had a mould attack in one of Romeo's earlier rub. It didnt have any ill effect on him either

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  23:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boogles

corn snakes live in the wild... Im fairly sure theres mould out there. he/she will be fine.

They originated in the wild.

But in captivity they should only come across about 1% of the bugs/bacteria that they would in the wild.
Imagine living somewhere that was totally hermetically sealed all your life, then getting plonked into an infant school. The bugs would do you a lot of damage very quickly.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2011 :  11:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've now chucked the culprit stick away now anyway just to be safe. Pablo seems ok and has been out and about a lot more now the stick has been removed so he's happy!
We'll keep an eye on him anyways although I think seeing as we spotted it quickly he'll be ok.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000