Leos again :D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karakal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  13:00:02  Show Profile  Visit Karakal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I went to PRAS and got my cutie little leo I have been lusting after, a 2 month (or so) giant, normal morph from Welsh Reptile Breeders, I have heard good things about them, si I'm hoping I'm not being fleeced on the giant front too much! xD
He's all settled and getting him used to handling now which I think is going pretty well~

He doesn;t seem to be eating very much, but doing my research-ish I had read that leo's can eat a little less during the winter, I was expecting this and the fact he was in a new home.
He was raised purely on mealworms by the breeders, he's only eating maybe two every couple of days dispite me offering him food every eveing. Is that fairly normal?
I would also like to start getting him onto locusts as well for variety, but he has refused these so far and also refused wax-worms which has screwed up my plans to coat the locusts in waxworm mush to try and encourage him that way. Does anyone have any other pointers on this or is this just going to be a case of perseverence?

His hot end temps hover a few degrees around the 84-88F mark, on a statted mat.

Have a picture of the little monster as a thank you for any insight~ <3

Lurking in: Brighton, East Sussex
0.0.2 Cornsnake (Claude, Normal | Tiz, Ghost)
0.3.0 Equines (Keira, ShireX | Katie, Highland | Skippy, Newforest)
0.1.0 Chickens (Borelo, AracuanaX)
0.0.1 Goldfish (Eiji)

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  15:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get a little colony of roachs going as well.
My Amys leo loves the roachs, given the choice it'd eat them all day every day.

I've heard of leos taking a bit of time to settle down, they are fussy little things.
Have you got a calci lick in there for it?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow a Gecko that refuses a waxworm! Must be just settling in, lol. Waxworms are gecko-crack.

I second the roaches, I dont have a Leo but my crestie loves them. And crickets too and crickets give them the fun of the chase too.

Calcium dust is good too to dust the live food and helps with their calcium stores.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our little neglected Mrs T has the opposite problem eats everything and lots of it !!! She,s had a pinkie eats locusts mealworms and waxworms but did not touch the crickets the previous owner sent her with ! your boy is very handsome !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids

Edited by - nusnakemum on 06/11/2011 16:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Karakal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  17:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Karakal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input, folks!
I figured I'd go all corn-snake on him, I left him alone for a week just doing the nessecery changes for him, but as he is eating a little here and there I wasn't wholly worried, I was expecting him to increase his intake a tiny bit more by now though!

I bought a little tub of ickle locusts first off, but when they go I suppose it's worth trying roaches next. I take it dubia(?) roaches are the ones in question? :O
He does have a little milk-top of calci-dust in his pen (which he walks around the viv more than he eats it!), and I dust his food in calci-dust every time I offer him food, then once a week dust a wee little bit of nutrobal too.

I knowwww though! I bought the waxies because I wanted to give him a little treat now and then, and with the worry about eating I figured he'd at least have one of those of nothing else! But nope! Turns his nose up at them! xD He must be a health-freak or something.

Hehe, thank you, nusnakemum! I wish my little Grey would get something close to an appetite like Mrs T!!

0.0.1 Goldfish (Eiji)

Edited by - Karakal on 06/11/2011 17:31:19
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  19:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry that was abit like boasting me goin on about Mrs T - hope your lad has an appetite very soon xxxxx

0.0.1 corn Ernest
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  01:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you keep you waxies in the fridge then they should last a few weeks as well if he doesn't eat many.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Tallscientist
Egg

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  14:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you feed leos just mealworms? I can't abide the chirruping of crickets!

I'm looking at perhaps getting a couple when I move Domino up to a vivarium - would they fit OK in a faunarium?

1.0.0 Rootbeer snake - Domino
0.0.40 Hoya plants
Go to Top of Page

Karakal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  17:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Karakal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've read that feeding the mealworms can be fine, though they are high in chitin. I want to give him some variety in his diet though is all!
I kept my little boy leo in a faun at first when I got him home from the show, a large faune, but he really looked pretty cramped in there with all his hides, so I moved him up to my snakes old glass viv (after giving it a thorough scrub and spray with disinfectant of course!).

Cheers, Kehhlyr, at least they won;t go to waste so fast then. :3

Nooo, I didn;t take it like that, nusnakemum! Really! <3 I love hearing about Mrs T and how she's doing with you after her previous home, I sort of stalk your posts about her, I admit.. xD

0.0.1 Goldfish (Eiji)

Edited by - Karakal on 07/11/2011 17:21:35
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  17:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha ok - well eventually one day i shall post pictures of her - but have to say she is,nt as pretty as your lad - but we do love her - never realised how cute they are !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000