Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sally had another successful strike-and-feed today (Jack still isn't eating) but I've left a pinkie in his side of the viv and Sally seems eager to get over there. Does this mean she's ready for two pinkies? And, If you had hatchlings, when did you upgrade them to fluffs, mice etc. I just want a rough idea on when I need to up their feeds.
They're both nearly 4months, each a little over a foot long but I don't know the weights.

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what is the size of the bump like on her when she has finished eating? If the bump is still quite substantial then leave her at one. Corns are opportunistic creatures when it comes to eating, they would eat and eat if you offered them.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  18:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you could try 2 pinks if she's looking for them, my 4 month old seems to want more but is refusing the 2nd pink so i'll keep her on 1 for a bit longer, both mine at about 25g have moved up to fluffs, but both were taking 2 pinks first, you can only try and see if she doesn't take a second one then you'll have your answer

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  00:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm might try her on two pinks around end of the month then, or at least offer her them and see if she takes it. Jack still isn't eating though. Every time I separate them for feeds he'smore interested in figuring a way back to Sally, no matter how many times I plug it up :L little devil's done it twice now (:

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  07:59:52  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are they housed together? In the same viv?

I upped my corn to two pinkies when there was no visible bump on her belly after one. The week after I offered her two, she took both I fed her two til I ran out of pinkies them tried her on fuzzys. She had her first one last Sunday. She's approx 20" and weighs 25g.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  13:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm might try her at end of month then with two cause there is a bump, just not a large one

And yeah they are housed in same viv but it can split in two for feeding. But like I said earlier, he's too interested in getting back to cuddle Sally :L

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  14:15:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Housing them together could be whats putting him of his food! It's not advisable housing them together! Especially opposite sexes!

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 05/11/2011 14:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  14:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not getting into a debate about housing together. Needless to say I don't believe half the stuff that goes around, and there are far more people that house snakes together contentedly than the rare few that attack each other. He's never been aggressive with her, just seems more keen in getting back to cuddling her :L

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  15:38:09  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not debating. Merely offering you a suggestion as to why he's not eating.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  16:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be but they are separated for feeding

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  16:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the male isn't eating they must be separated you cant just assume everything will be fine with the snake as you separate for meal time only. If he is stressing being kept alone for 10 minutes isn't nearly enough for him to destress and snakes not eating is one of the signs of stress.

Also snakes don't cuddle that is a perception we have given to them. Male and female together I hope you have a nice wad of cash also tucked away for a rainy day, snakes also have no concept of underage sex and the damage that will do your female is not worth the risk.

I dont believe half the stuff i read about cohabbing either, there will be much more! as folks will not say i have cohabbeb my corns and one attacked the other the other isnt eating etc, because they will also have been advised not to cohab them and they will be to ashamed to publicly say the made a booboo.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  19:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attacking each other is just one very rare side effect of cohabiting. Its the more common side effects you need to worry about.

*Illness
*Not Eating
*One snake doing well, one snake not doing well.
*Stress.
*Breeding too young (do you know what sex your 2 are)

If your viv can be split then there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't. Give it a try and see if it helps, then you'll have them both on 2 pinkies before you know it.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  19:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the viv is able to be split for feeding then why not keep it permanently split and see if theres a change in his feeding? Got to be worth trying.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  00:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

If the viv is able to be split for feeding then why not keep it permanently split............

I totally agree with that.

The sheer stupidity and ignorance of some people amazes me sometimes.
To the OP:
You asked about moving one snakes feeds up to 2 pinkies because you're not sure. Yet you seem sure that they are 'happy together' sharing a home.
If you have the experience and ability to tell they are fine together, then surely that same experience should let you know if the female is ready for 2 pinkies.

So why don't you simply do whatever the hell you want, it certainly seems that regardless of whatever advice that you are given you will do what you want.
There was someone else like that on here once, they were stupid as well and admitted their fault when it was to late.

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  10:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GillyDuncan, I did not come onto this forum for you to claim I am stupid. I have been to college and studied animal-and-snake care and know what I am b
Doing, I was merely asking for suggestions on when people upgraded their snakes feeds.
I also feel I should point out that Jack and Sally are both MALES and therefore unlikely to breed.
I did try splitting the viv permanently but, as I previously said, Jack is more interested in getting to Sally than he is staying in his side of the vivarium.
I wrote this forum post merely asking when people upgraded their snakes feed, not to be slated because I have decided to cohabit my two snakes together. Neither am I overly worried about Jack not eating as he has eaten well before and, as you all say, snakes can go a while without food. I would like him to eat, certainly, but my vet has offered to help me get him feeding if he does not eat soon, and whilst he is there I will invest in another vivarium.
So please, do NOT call me stupid, I am NOT stupid, I am merely a first time snake owner asking advice.
Thank you to those who actually gave me useful advice.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  12:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly Louise

I also feel I should point out that Jack and Sally are both MALES and therefore unlikely to breed.

suggest you do not refer to Sally as her then all through your posts, this reads as male and female.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  12:53:49  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Beverly.

the only way you will know if cohabiting is causing one not to feed is to permanently separate them an see if the problem resolves itself an i mean permanently not just for feeding purposes. sending him to a vet isnt going to help, because if the vet does get it to feed it could still point at it being the cohabiting that was causing the issue as ud have to seperate them to take him to the feed......

sperating them isnt going to cost you hardly anything compaired to a vet bill which will most likey both come to the same result.

you need to do it sooner rather than later as a smaller no eating snake CAN become pray for a bigger one. an there are pics on here to justify this statement

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

GillyDuncan
50% warning

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  15:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly Louise

...............I have been to college and studied animal-and-snake care and know what I am b............

If you have studied snake care then you would know the answers to your questions already.
I studied metallurgy and geology, however I don't know how to build a house.
All I'm saying is that you came across as someone that was asking for advice but was going to ignore it. As for now saying that sally is male, then why refer to her as a female in every single post until the previous one?
I'm not trying to color you in a bad light, you just need to sit back and take some of the advice/info offered by these guys, training from any form of educational faculty or even simply reading loads of books is totally different to the actual experience of reptile ownership.
If you don't take any advice then my previous accusation of stupity still stands but with added ignorance.

Surely the serpent will bite without enchantment; and a babbler is no better.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The short version is if you wish to cohabit 2 perfectly healthy snakes that are doing everything they should be doing without issue then its down to personal choice.

If you are cohabiting 2 snakes but one or both of them is not healthy or doing everything they should be doing then they need to be separated.

You cant know the cause of 1 snakes loss of appetite, it could be stress, it could be an illness, either way that snake needs to be almost quarantined (can't think of a better way to describe it) until the cause is established. If it is just stress then a bit of time on its own will do it the world of good, if its ill the last thing you are going to want is it living with other snakes to potentially pass it on.

One other point is snakes don't 'cuddle' they are not friends or lovers they don't need company.When snakes are together they are competing for the best spot, they aren't together because they want to be together, that's just the best spot and they both want it.

(I know your original question was about double feeding but in that question information about another snake that has stopped eating came up and that is far more important to sort than how much to feed your snake as that should be information you already know).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 06/11/2011 16:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Tamogen
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  17:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I take it jack hasn't eaten for a while now??
I would seperate the snakes to ensure he isn't stressed out by sharing tank/viv with Sally. One of the first signs of stress with snakes is going off food. I am not going to bang on about co-sharing as I, myself co-habit my snakes but you need to make sure this suits the snakes as well as yourself.
Sally obvioulsy has no issues with sharing but if Jack isn't eating, I would seperate for a few days and try feeding again. If he still refuses to eat then you should check for illness or mites as a possible reason for his lack of eating.

Try offering Sally a second pinkie. If she is still hungry she will take it. I have all my 4 month old corns on 2 pinkies and they are all doing really well.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just feel like half of the people on here are getting at me for co-habiting them and I didn't come on here for that, nor for advice on Jack, and I feel like people are purposefully putting me down over personal choice.
I already have plans set out for Jack. I can't remember if I wrote this before, but if he eats at the vet and refuses to again at home, I WILL separate the pair of them. I appreciate the advice, but it would be kinder to write it in a constructive manner, rather than talking about 'the idiocy and ignorance of some people'.
All I wanted to know was when you upgraded your snakes feeds, not whether or not I was an idiot or just plain ignorant. So unless there is any advice based on when you upgraded the feeds, I would appreciated it if you didn't comment.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000