New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

teabicky
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  16:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My house is not very insulated and can get very cold in the winter, especially at night when I don't have the heating on. I am about to upgrade to a four foot viv. My plan is to use a heat mat for my Snakes thermo-regulation but I am concerned that during these cold times the ambient air in such a large viv will be too cold (when he is climbing etc). To counter this I intend to use a ceramic bulb to gently heat the ambient air only, not to create a hot spot. The temperature I will aim for will only be about 22 degrees C.

I have read somewhere on the net that under no circumstances should a mat and ceramic be used at the same time. I would like to know your thoughts on this. My feeling is that the advise not to use both probably relates to thermo-regulation and the creation of Hot/ Cold areas but not to the gentle heating of the ambient temperature.

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  18:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know about both, ceramics are seriously good heaters, but wherever you point them it will create a hot spot. I do have my current corn snake viv on a spot and mat combo but its 2 stats and a timer, the light through the day the mat at night. My new viv is only using ceramics (though thats not confirmed in the corn viv yet, he'll let me know what he likes). Last winter just gone my boiler packed in so for a week it was seriously cold and the the cold end of the corn viv was dropping to 13oC but he was totally fine, he just carried on like nothing was the matter.

SO in summary, you can do both on separate thermostats but really only one or the other is required though the ceramic will warm the ambient air temp as well.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 02/11/2011 18:19:38
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  18:45:35  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i personally would choose the ceramic alone

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  19:44:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My corns can have cool ends of 13c some times in the winter and they have been fine, they just move to the warm end when tehy need it.

I'd just have one or the other.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  12:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id go with the ceramic, i just reckon their better all round than the matts. plus the look better i think. :)

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page