New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AliciaRose
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  21:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I fed Mitch on wednesday, he was given a rat pup as the reptile shop had run out of fluffs. I went to clean him out today and discovered a regurged rat pup hidden under his bedding with 3 maggots on it, I am absolutely horrified and dont know what to do, I have cleaned and disinfected his tank and Mitch seems okay (I know to leave him for atleast 2 weeks if he has regurged his food) but about the maggots I have no idea, I feel terrible right now, should I take him to the vet? :(

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  21:27:28  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Question is how have the maggots got there? Are there many flies in your home? Or were they already on/in the rat pup before feeding? And that could have caused the regurge? Bear in mind I'm on sumising and may be something else. Not sure about the vet tho. Someone with more experience than I will answer that better.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 30/10/2011 21:27:57
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:44:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would imagine the maggots would be fine and wouldn't have gotten hold of the snake, they don't actually cause any problems with living or good tissue, only dead or infected tissue.
Nothing works better on a nice knee graze with loads of pus than a bandage with maggots in it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  00:28:17  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always said that i'm all for maggot/leach medical treatment! Its the way forward.

Sorry to hear your snake regurged - hopefully the shop will have fluffs for the next feed

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  21:12:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i wouldn't be concerned about the maggots - it means the viv has ventilation

did he definitely regurge though? did you see him eat it and it go down?

i drop-feed some of ours and if they leave it and bury it it can take a few days to find (usually when it starts to smell!)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  06:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely should not have read this while eating my weetabix for breakie..

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:39:58  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Definitely should not have read this while eating my weetabix for breakie..

hahahaha made my kippers go down well acctually.

Alicia just keep an eye out more baby maggots developing. they shouldnt as you have removed the host as they need something to be layed on which is ussually dead meat related

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

AliciaRose
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  23:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He definitely ate it as I take him out to eat and put him into a different tank, he seems to be fine though, my first thing was to just panic as I fed him on wednesday and didn't find them until sunday, have checked again today and there is nothing, so problem sorted I think

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  13:55:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just treat him for the regurge then........don't feed for 10-14 days to let his tummy settle, try to find the cause and rectify it, i've done a sticky on regurgitation that would be worth a quick read

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000