Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 First-time snake owner - yearling or hatchling?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Highly Sammable
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  13:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family is likely going to buy a snake in a few months' time (probably a corn, from what I've read, they seem best). I've found a lot of useful care sheets online, but I've found little information regarding the best age. Would having a hatchling be too challenging? Would I need to change diet and housing regularly? Is it likely to get easily stressed or bite anyone? - I won't be able to tell its temperament. It seems like the harder option, but I was wondering if you might miss out on a lot if you buy an older snake and won't be able to see it grow as much.

Also, are there any good sites/other ways of finding breeders?

Thanks

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  13:22:41  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have to say i started with both (bought a yearling first then a hatchling two weeks later) wasnt too confident about how id handle a hatchling but the only real difference is hatchlings can be a bit jittery untill they are used to being handled as for changing diet and housing the size mice wont change very quickly and housing is easily solved really im enjoying my hatchlings as im getting to see them grow and their personalitys develop and learning the handle them has obviously helped my confidence
theres plenty of breeders on here if you state a location and how far you are willing to travel someone might be able to help or there is reptile forums uk they have classified sections of there is alwaysy trusty old google lol

Best of luck

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A yearling will still have plenty of growing to do, so you won't miss much inthat sense. You'll miss the whole handling a scared little hatchie until it becomes relaxed and friendly thing, but some yearlings may be like that.

Yearlings are also less likely to randomly kick the bucket, but that goes for most animals that slightly older ones are less likely to.
I started with a 6 month old (who was the size of most yearlings by then lol) and it certainly helped for my first snake to be bit larger and such a good feeder, but it's your call :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  17:24:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yearlings! Or older :p Hatchings are whizzy specially for small children. If you get a yearling too you know if must feed well and is less likely to die on you too. Probably plenty that need rehoming too as yearlings about as people decide to get a hatchie and then not want it any more.

No need to change diet, mice for cornsnake any age and housing depending on bedding really. Kitchen roll changed every time there is poop and aspen every month. Yearlings are about 2ft ish in length, that's still plenty of grow room!

Preloved has some breeders and some people trying to flog their unwanted.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  19:15:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was just for you then I'd say hatchie but with kids I'd get a yearling it will be no where near as flighty and you will still see it grow and develop into a adult.

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  19:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your best bet is take a trip to a local reptile shop and have a handle of both, if they are any good at all they'll be quite happy to let you have a handle of both the hatchlings and yearlings so you can get a good idea of what you feel comfortable with (small bit of advice though is take everything the shops say with a pinch of salt, some of it is useful but a lot is them selling stuff so go in knowing what you want if you go in to buy something, if you ask for advice on buying stuff you'll likely walk out with a pile of stuff that you dont need).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 29/10/2011 19:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  13:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally started with a young snake only 3 months old and i was a lot less scared of handling him than i expected and its great to see them develop, i then got a 18 month old 3 ft corn 3 weeks later so my partner could handle him too as he is too heavy handed for the hatchie they are both calm but the young one is quicker to hold and get out, watching his confidence grow with me and get a bond is great the older one does its own thing and enjoys being handled but i have less of a bond to be honest so far. I think its best to get a young corn to start with to gain your confidence maybe one from a previous owner not a shop so there a few months old and eating and growing ok.

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000