New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  23:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, so as you know i got my second corn about 4 days ago, i held her at the previous owners house and she was fine, i held her when i put her back in the viv when we got home she was fine, i held her the next morning to get her out and feed her yet again she was fine, she was then left for 2 days to digest and then this morning i held her for about ten minutes and she was a bit more jumpy but she was ok again then about 4 hours later i tried to get her out again to show my grandparents just how big she is and calm and she was a bit reluctant curled up so i let her wake up fully a good 10-15 minutes and then she started to move so i slid my hand under her and she was fine nice and calm like normal as i started to lift her her tail was really vibrating - rataling so i figured she wasnt happy and let her go back in the viv and her tail continued to do this for about 3 minutes but she didnt strike or turn to go back at me, was she just being moody or should i worry about anything (is it a distress sign and i was doing something wrong?) Im very gentle with the snakes as im new to them, my fiancee calls me soft cause im too delicate and they just slide away lol i just wanted to make sure im not doing anything wrong or its a sign of some illness or something should i put off holding her for a few days or will that make things worse (ie she will just rattle every time cause she knows she wont have to be handled?) Sorry for the lecture im just worried :s

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  23:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the sounds of it, you didn't give him 7 days to settle in and get used to the new smells and sights. He's bound to be a bit stressed.

Also, that's just hatchlings for you. They get scared and stressed, so they rattle and try to run away. They're a very little creature, and you're a great big thing grabbing it, which to them would instinctively mean they're about to be eaten or otherwise. Leave him to settle for a few days, just changing water, and then start again and persevere with it.
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  23:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shes not the hatchling hun thats pop corn, crackling is 18-20 months old and i figured as she was so calm the day after (for feeding) and exploring her viv at night loads (she came in the same viv) she would be ok, should i have left her for 7 days still ?

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  23:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also she ate the day after so i thought she wouldnt have been that stressed or she wouldnt have eaten :s

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  07:49:15  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah you still need to let settle for 7 days. This is to get used to sounds and smells in its new surroundings etc.

Edit: Also worth putting a clean sock in you pocket for a day and put it it's viv as this will help him get used to you scent.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 29/10/2011 07:51:44
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  09:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I 2nd the scent trick. Worked wonders for me when i rehomed Griffin. He was very aggressive etc. Took me a while to get him used to being handled etc. Now hes getting on great Any snake of any age should be left for the 7 days to settle in xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  13:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks guys will try the sock trick :) and will leave her to settle a bit longer

Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  14:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defo just sounds like too much handling too soon :) If your going in and out and in and out and.....well you get the idea, then the snake isnt getting time to take in the new surroundings and smells. :) x

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  18:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I left her alone yesterday and she was exploring and almost found an escape route lol i just got her out now and she was fine again, i think she is a once a day holding snake i think the sock helped too :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000