More than one snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xangus
Snake Mite

3 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  16:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've recently bought my first corn snake (Brian) he's about 4' long and gorgeous. I was just wondering if I got a second one, can they go into the same viv or do they need their own?

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  16:45:31  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You will find all the info etc here - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070.

Much easier than starting a new thread with the same chat...

Welcome to the forum

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two same sex/size adults together is fine in my opinion, but it does very much depend on the personality and temperament of the snake. For example, I will most likely co-habit Lister and Rimmer when they are adults as they're both very laid back (assuming Rimmer catches up in size lol), but I wouldn't co-habit anyone with Holly, as he's a bit of a stress head at times :)
Ofcourse, it is up to you to weigh up the pros and cons of co-habiting and to make your own informed decision.
You would probably have to get a slightly bigger viv to accommodate the two happily, and the extra hides required, as you wouldn't want them competing for space (although chances are they'll just use the same one regardless of how similar they are haha)

You may just find it easier in the end to get a second setup, especially if you're new to it all, as you've not got a lot of the experience that only comes from ownership and time :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  19:29:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unless your sure about the sex of the snakes, no.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  22:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My friend introduced a male corn to his female when they were both four and had no problems since. They have bred but usually he just discards the eggs even if their fertile as he doesn't have an incubator.
So if you want to keep them together go for it but I would first keep new snake in an enclosure inside the viv so that they can scent each other, would double the amount of hides and, unless you are prepared to throw away baby snake eggs (I know I couldn't) get two the same gender. That's what hedid and, like I said, his have been pretty much fine (:

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  23:04:47  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's great for your friend, I did the same for many years but in the long term that is not healthy, specially if the female is trying to recover from the last lot and is getting pestered by the male so you always need a spare set-up incase of any health problems.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  04:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly Louise

My friend introduced a male corn to his female when they were both four and had no problems since. They have bred but usually he just discards the eggs even if their fertile as he doesn't have an incubator.
So if you want to keep them together go for it but I would first keep new snake in an enclosure inside the viv so that they can scent each other, would double the amount of hides and, unless you are prepared to throw away baby snake eggs (I know I couldn't) get two the same gender. That's what hedid and, like I said, his have been pretty much fine (:

It can work sometimes, but there is a permanent risk with co-habiting regardless of the size/ages of the snakes.
I myself used to co-habit with a couple of snakes that had lived together for 9 years, one of them ended up dying as a direct result of co-habiting, I shant bore with the details, but suffice to say I don't co-habit my corns anymore. The snake in question that died was close to 6ft long with a near 2 inch girth (he was a bit porky), the one that was involved in it's death was 4ft long and slightly over an inch in girth.

Can we now keep all discussions on the dedicated co-habiting thread please, it's always been hotly debated. Thanks.

Regardless of co-habiting or not, any new reptiles should ALWAYS be quarantined away from others preferably in a different room, for a minimum of 3 months to ensure there is no risk of carrying bugs/illnesses to others.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000