Not sure but could it...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  21:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a male and a female, living apart but next to each other. I have no intention of breeding them (not much point Mo is a normal with no known hets). My question is (and it may be a daft one but bear with me) would she sense him been about and develop eggs (slugs) any way? At the min they are both only yearlings but a heads up would be nice. And if it is likely to happen then I can move them away from each other before breeding age hits.

Told you to bear with me its just how my mind works. That and the dog is going through a phantom pregnancy with got me thinking about snakes lol

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.

Madhouse5
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Catt found this might help you

snakes like most reptiles and birds will lay unfertilized eggs if there is no copulation during the period of time when an egg is produced by the female's body. The chicken eggs we eat for breakfast are similarly laid by the hen but remain unfertilized.

On the other hand, while the ability of a female to fertilize her own eggs in the absence of a male (called "parthenogenesis") does exist in a few species of lizards and snakes, corn snakes to my knowledge do not have this capability.

So, can a corn snake lay eggs without mating? YES! Are they fertile? NO (or not likely anyway).

Thanks

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  23:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can develop slugs even without the presence of a male, so the chances of her doing it with a male nearby are the same I would imagine.
Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  22:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I know that she could produce slugs even if i had her on here own but does been close to him increase the chance of slugs??

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  22:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have females beside my males and none of the non breeders produced eggs. so would say no doesnt increase the chance

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  01:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I have females beside my males and none of the non breeders produced eggs. so would say no doesnt increase the chance

Same, i have never had a snake lay without mating first.
I know its the case for most pythons, not sure on corns, but i believe that ovulation is stimulated but the male.

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks gmac was hoping someine might say that. I'll leave them as they are :) Which gives me more room to add more :D

Go to Top of Page

vetdebbie
Hatchling

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  21:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we did have a female lay eggs with no mating this year - although we were attempting to mate her so she had been with the male. But there defnately hadn't been any locks. The eggs were or course infertile.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000