New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so i was just wondering, i bred my snakes last year twice but my female double clutched (it was there first time breeding) . i wasn't hoping for that to happen again so i know it does depend on the snakes but how many times do you think i should breed them??

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once a season is enough it takes enough out of the females and if they double clutch it takes more. Doesnt really matter what you hope doesnt happen it is what may happen and that must be taken into account.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  19:34:03  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she can double-clutch from just one mating
some individuals seem prone to dropping a later clutch of eggs, like my anery motley, but others never do

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  19:27:57  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you don't want your girl to double clutch then only breed her once. It won't guarantee that she won't but it could help reduce the chance. If she double clutches again next season give her a break from breeding the year after.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  22:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personly i would only breed them the once in one year (i only let mine mate the once), thing is you need to make sure that your girl is in tip top condition, it really takes so much outta them, and after the first clutch you need to get her into tip top condition again for the eventualality that she may double clutch, some snakes do some snakes dont but you never know tbh,if they arnt in tip top condition and/or they double cluth you risk losing your female, plus some females can store sperm, i had 3 do this this year and one was never mated, all my males and females are kept seprate unless i pair them for mating so i have no unexpected accidents.
Sorry for my spelling and jumbled words (iv got dislexia), so somtimes it comes out all wrong lol

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  10:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks alot ill definately only breed them once i really dont want her to double clutch again because she was really thin but she put the weight back on really quickly :)

Edited by - connorg96 on 26/10/2011 10:02:03
Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  22:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do breed them again just make sure after shes layed the first clutch you get her back upto good condition just incase she does have another clutch just to be on the safe side of things, if she doesn't have a second clutch then that a bonus really imo.
Good luck

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000