New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ive had little pop for just under a month, he was eating pinkies originally now he is on a fluff every 7 days, the first 2 weeks he was just hiding i put him in a smaller rub inside the original 64l one and he comes out all the time now, for the last week he has been in just his large rub without the little one inside and he is soooo active every night. Ive been handling him every day and this last 2 days he has been really jumpy, ive worked out he is a lot quicker at night and doesnt like to be held as much then but in the mornings he doesnt put up as much of a fight, the last 2 days he has been very quick even in the morning and doesnt seem to want to be held, any one know why this could be ? Also he is just over a foot long approx 3 months old and when he is handled even when he's calm he doesnt seem to coil around me much and falls off my hand (onto my other hand or body) is that normal for his age ? I know thats a big explanation but thought id put the full info i could lol.

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
64ltr rub? That sounds far to large to me! My yearling normal has been in a 4ltr rub of most of his life so far, and he's about 2.5ft. My 4 month old fire lives in a 1.6ltr lock%lock tub at the moment.
Move him into something smaller, as hatchlings do not appreciate large spaces, to them it makes them more vulnerable. You will probably find that he chills out more in there.
Here is a 4ltr rub that will see him right for a good amount of time: http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b04_0litre.php
Good size, will fit a few hides in nicely, just make sure you poke a few airholes in.
Not to mention, hatchlings are usually jumpy and speedy. It's just something you have to persevere with. Snakes will happily live out their lives without handling, so it's not top on their list of priorities :)

Edited by - Spreebok on 22/10/2011 16:05:08
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double post, because I am dumb, sorry mods :<

Edited by - Spreebok on 22/10/2011 16:04:59
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay well he does come out now he has settled in and uses all of the space up and there is plenty of hides in it too so he doesnt feel exposed, i think its just cause he is young but wasnt sure, the rub he is in isnt that wide he can go all along one side and down to the other corner i.e L shape its tall thats why its big but he loves climbing up all the logs ect. Thanks for the reply though :)

1 x collie, 1 x mastiff, 1 x ragdoll cat, 2 x guinea pigs, 1 x leopard tortoise, 1 x rat, 1 x Bearded Dragon, 1 x sheep, 2 x corn snakes,1 bosc, 3 leopard gecko, 1 crested gecko, 1 x fiance, 1 x 3yr old step son = My Ark

Edited by - Becky_Ben on 22/10/2011 16:18:00
Go to Top of Page

sharon71
Hatchling

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  19:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Becky_Ben

when he is handled even when he's calm he doesnt seem to coil around me much and falls off my hand (onto my other hand or body) is that normal for his age ? I know thats a big explanation but thought id put the full info i could lol.

My baby did that for a few weeks never seemed to have the strength and or common sense to hold on..Lol but now hes 4 weeks older and coils and hangs by his tail off my hands!!!!

0.0.1 Carolina (Nobby Knobbs)
0.1.0 cat(Pepsi)
0.0.2 goldfish
0.2.0 kids
1.0.0 husband
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  19:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its a hatchie. Its what young snakes do

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Becky_Ben
Hatchling

United Kingdom
160 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  20:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cool i just thought id check thanks

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  23:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he's just over a foot and can make an L shape, are you sure it's a 64ltr? I have a 65ltr fishtank, and there's no way he could make an L shape in that lol :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000