New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  15:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so I handled River for the first time this morning and all was fine. She initially didn't want to be picked up but once she was she was fine (and so gorgeous!)

This afternoon I took her out of her viv and put in her feeding box. Dangled the pinkie but she didn't seem interested. (she just seemed to want to explore the box and kept trying to get out the top!) Left the pinkie on the floor (kitchen roll) but apart from a couple of sniffs didn't seem interested - just interested in getting out the top of the box! After 10-15 mins I decided to put her back in her viv. I have put the food in there with her too (in a small dish - on top of kitchen roll so she does not swallow the substrate).

Is this the right thing to do? Last time she ate was 2 weeks ago at pet shop.

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like your doing the right thing, you may find she takes it overnight! Until she does feed, I'd recommend (as hard as it is) not handling her, as this can add undue stress and put them off eating.
Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think that I should feed her in the viv until she is used to being handled?
Whilst she was fine when she was out she didn't want to be picked up to start with.
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  16:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, when we bought our first snake Pablo we decided to feed in the viv (with pinky on kitchen roll of course) while he was getting used to his new surroundings and then swapped to feeding outside after 2-3 weeks.

As Spreebok says you're doing fine. If she won't take the food straight away leave it with her for 24 hours... she may just be shy and wait til you have gone to bed!

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.
Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  17:45:10  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try her again with the pinky tomorrow if she doesn't eat it. I am sure once she gets used to the feeding box, she should eat it

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  19:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leave her 5 days or so and then put her and her dinner in a closed box in her viv. (air holes!!) Leave her undisturbed for a few hours and then see what happens. Sometimes that does the trick. It might help if it's dark too. I think you should wait for a few days before trying again though. Last thing you wanna do is stress her out about eating by making it a daily effort.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  22:34:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't worry too much. I would just leave the pinkie in with her overnight. If she doesn't eat it, take it away and try again with a fresh pinkie in 5-7 days. You don't want to try too often as it could stress her out and put her off even more.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000