New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  17:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little Falco has eaten once since getting him 15 days ago, that was 2 days after arriving. I left him for a week then handled for a few minutes,on the second handling a few days later tried feeding but he left it,so thought handling had put him off. He never came out of his hide from last Fri, and I fed him Mon but noticed he was blue, so he never ate for a second time. He shed today, and was zooming about for the first time in a week, so gave a pinkie at lunch time...it's still not been touched! He's in a breeder box in an exo terra, with a coconut hide that he won't leave, and a toilet tube on the cool end. Small pot of water and temps of 30.6 warm, and 22.4 cool. I don't want to leave it weeks before asking if it's a problem, but it's really starting to get me down. Any ideas? Is the coconut hide too big? I've covered the exo with a towel (left enough air space on top), not sure how long to leave the pinkie in for?

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  18:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
leave the pinkie in overnight. There are threads on here about non eating snakes that you can read. You could try braining the pinkie... use a pin to pierce through the skull.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  18:19:02  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what sort of size is the 'breeder box' and is it enclosed?
chances are the coconut hide is mahoosive too

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2011 :  19:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The breeder box is 7"x7x7", and not enclosed. I've just covered the back, sides & top with paper, and the same with the exo terra that the box is in, only covered most of the front on that too. I've changed the coconut hide for a half toilet roll tube, and will leave the pinkie until morning and hope for the best.Does the breeder box sound too big? He seemed to start off quite well, but lost confidence after we held him.
I've read the posts about snakes not eating, but because he's so small and our first hatchling, I didn't want to wait until it was too late to ask for help.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the current breeder box isn't huge for him but you could go smaller if there's still a problem in the future
where abouts are you measuring the temps in the tub? and with what sort of thermometer?
try to keep him in a quiet area with minimal passing traffic (of people!)
and i know it's hard but he's best not handled till he's taken 3 consecutive feeds
i'm sure he'll feel more secure in the toilet roll tubes too

when you offer a feed cover him over completely and leave him alone for 24 hours, try to feed him at a time of day when he's active (evening, early morning) and i wouldn't advise offering him a feed more often that every 5 days

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  19:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a fussy little corn that I decided to house under my bed,sounds strange I know but it was the quietest place I could think of.
She was a monkey to begin with,but I used a hairdryer to warm the pinks head and then brained it with the spare blade from my craft knife and smeared the juices around the pinks head a bit. Sounds gross I know,but it honestly isn't as bad as you think its going to be.
This was in the evenings and then I left the pink in with her overnight. It worked a treat,and she soon moved onto unbrained pinks. She's now my keenest feeder! I can imagine how its getting you down but I'm sure he'll take a feed soon enough. Cross fingers its tonight.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  14:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I redone his box the other day, and added a small plastic plant and it now covers the back and both hides. He's been much happier since then, and coming out at night too. I'm taking the temps from under the breeder box with an exo terra thermometer. I'm going away Sun-Wed, so will try a feed when I get back, and if no luck will try your idea Mort, although the thought turns my stomach, if it gets him going I'm willing to try I think he's maybe felt too exposed, so with the changes I'm treating it like he's just arrived and some settling in time should help.

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2011 :  19:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had a small corn that wouldnt feed for around 8 weeks after i got him from a breeder, i found a small plastic pot (the type you get pasta sauces in) and put him in there with 2 pinkies ontop of his heat mat, turned all lights off and went out, 10 mins later all was eaten

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  10:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got back yesterday, so gave him a pinkie after running it's head under the hot tap for a minute. Luckily he ate it within minutes Big relief, so hopefully he'll be less fussy next time

Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  11:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news I still warm Maizie's mousey up a little by putting it in a sandwich bag and then sitting it in hot water for a bit. I can't help but feel it must be nicer that way, but I don't suppose she'd be that fussy now that she'd older

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page