New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:04:21  Show Profile
just seen this after watching some guys feed on here, the strike and constrict looks amazing, text book. Although i wouldnt think it needs feeding live as its taking that with a few people watching over doesnt seem like a fussy feeder, but anyway strike and constrict is still amazing!

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:08:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the morals and legalities of this are discussed on another thread here http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9701

so anyone replying please keep this thread civilised!
for serious, erm, discussion on the rights or wrongs please use the other thread (that i've linked to)

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:14:45  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Ule_Y9AyUdw

i guess i forgot the link :/ yea i dont really like it although if i had to i would but only if i had ran out of options.. but yea just the way it takes it is amazing mice are quick! and this guy doesnt even have a chance. amazing strike and constrict.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:17:00  Show Profile
also this was filmed in the USA where live feeding is generally the norm and legal, so as GP has said keep it sensible

Edited by - gmac on 18/10/2011 20:17:58
Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:22:49  Show Profile
oh its the norm over there, that would explain why the live feed when it doesnt seeem to fussy a feeder.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:26:58  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address
I just LOL so hard at the chap getting bitten first. The caption from the snake should have been "get lost, I'l eat it when I'm good n ready"

I love the snakes inspection of the mouse when it let go as well. Alot of mine do this after they have 'killed' their dinner. Kind of a strike first and check it's edible later.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:27:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
pretty much is the norm over there, not sure why though, surely it's easier to bulk-buy a load of mice/rats and keep it in the freezer? obviously if you have a lot of snakes it's prolly worthwhile breeding them yourself but hell it's a load of hassle! lol

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:30:16  Show Profile
i think its a good example of what prolific hunters and killers even a 'corn' snake can be

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:36:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

i think its a good example of what prolific hunters and killers even a 'corn' snake can be

very true

Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:58:11  Show Profile
exactly tordyjo looking at it from a natures way its amazing.

and yes gp it would be easier but alot of americans aint to bright hehe
Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  21:00:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I just LOL so hard at the chap getting bitten first. The caption from the snake should have been "get lost, I'l eat it when I'm good n ready"

I love the snakes inspection of the mouse when it let go as well. Alot of mine do this after they have 'killed' their dinner. Kind of a strike first and check it's edible later.

yea i was in fits when i seen it, even went to constrict his hand lol poor boy :P he needs to toughen up a bit tho instead of whining for a "band aid" hehe
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  00:16:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
I also think that snake is a very well fed snake, it's starting to get hips.

In regards it being the norm over there to live feed, I've spoken to a few keepers and it seems that it's usually easier and cheaper to get 'feeder mice' than it is to get frozen/thawed prey items.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  00:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address
OK, I know this is probably going to start a massive debate, but im going to say my piece. I have fed both live and FT mice to adult corns. Even though yes it is illegal, it is behind closed doors and cannot be proved, it is in the privacy of your own home. I see the advantages for both. Live feeding IS cruel to the mouse, in the wild it would have the chance to run away, in a box or vivarium it does not, the end is certain. But i also do see the attraction with live feeding, a live mouse triggers every single one of the snakes natural aggressive instincts, meaning that it is doing what millions of years of evolution have designed it to do. Also you may take the view that it is easier as you can just throw a live mouse in, no hasstle of defrosting. FT mice do have many advantages, they can be bought in bulk and require no maintainance, no smell around the house as youd get with live mice. I have tried to sum up the pros and cons, and not take a bias view
Hope its helped :)

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  02:08:34  Show Profile
i tried to watch it got to 3 secs, put it off, if i had a snake that HAD to have live, then i could make myself do it, but otherwise just makes me sick

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  09:03:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Diesel1994

OK, I know this is probably going to start a massive debate, but im going to say my piece. I have fed both live and FT mice to adult corns. Even though yes it is illegal, it is behind closed doors and cannot be proved, it is in the privacy of your own home.

It's not illegal.

That snake is a bit chubby or needs to do a massive dump! Bit worryng how the mouse was sniffing the snakes tail at the start O.o;;

Although fresh mouse looks a lot nicer than defrosted mousey who is having nose bleeding and pooping.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  09:24:23  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address
live feeding is illegal if they come round and your snake takes a frozen thawed mouse

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  10:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage
"Currently under the 1911 Act it is not illegal to feed a live vertebrate to another unless you cause it unnecessary suffering, so that would have to be the result of a court case and the judge would have to make a decision."

Taken from www.parliament.uk

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  10:14:41  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage
Im not gonna get into the moral debate however i do think that as a nation us brits are a nation of animal lovers and most of us would be bothered by live feeding but the rest of the world doesnt really seem to share our love of all things critterish some countrys are obviously worse than others lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  10:18:17  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage
Have to say after watching the video the one thing that really bugs me in some of the live videos ive seen is how some people treat it as some kinda morbid spectator sport ugh

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  10:37:53  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage
well i would only ever live feed IF the snake would not eat. I agree with others who say that in the wild its fine, but in captivity the mouse has no chance of running and hiding. Plus I have seen many pics of snakes who have suffered horrific bites due to live feeding etc and the prey being left in the enclosure

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  12:16:33  Show Profile
Locking this thread as seems we have got onto the legalities and morals and we dont need 2 topics for this discussion.

This thread is a sticky and is full of replies so please use this one from now

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9701

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000