Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've been told by the shop that we got our corn from to feed him in a little tub, seperate from his main home. I'm reading on the internet that you shouldn't do this as it means you're handling the snake straight after he's eaten & he may regurgitate.
Please can someone tell me what is best as I'm confused! We have forest bark down as his substrate.

Thanks.

***moved from Intros to General by GP***

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a matter of choice, gently returning the snake back into his main home will do no harm, just leave him alone for a couple of days to digest.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks Mick for the advice. I would prefer to feed him in a seperate tub so he doesn't accidentally eat any substrate so it's good to hear that I can do it!

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries Kath, a lot of members feed in the vivs as they have a lot to feed, I prefer to feed outside for the very reason you mention.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 18/10/2011 17:40:32
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:45:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I feed both ways depending on the snake and what time I have. I have 4 that will only feed in their vivs so I put a piece of kitchen roll in and put mousey on that. Most of the others will feed in a seperate tub or in viv except one who at the moment is being fed in a seperate tub but the tub is put into his viv with the lid on and the whole viv covered overnight. With him I just take the lid off the tub the next day so he can slither out on his own. The others fed in tubs I just lift out carefully, supporting their bumps, and allow them to slide back into their vivs. The no handling rule is generally unnecessary handling

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  17:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we first got Pablo our Carolina corn hatchling about 6 weeks ago we started out feeding in his rub with the pinky on a sheet of kitchen roll whilst he was getting used to his surroundings. Whilst this method is ok snakes to move around when feeding and there's no guarantee he won't stray onto the substrate so after 2-3 weeks we changed over to a separate rub so that there's no danger of him eating his substrate and also so that he doesn't associate our hands in his rub with food!

With regards to transferring Pablo back into his own rub once he's eaten we just take the rub he's been fed in and gently tip the corner into the rub and he will eventually slither back home without disturbing his tummy!

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  20:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your replies / advice.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  22:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I feed both ways depending on the snake and what time I have. I have 4 that will only feed in their vivs so I put a piece of kitchen roll in and put mousey on that. Most of the others will feed in a seperate tub or in viv except one who at the moment is being fed in a seperate tub but the tub is put into his viv with the lid on and the whole viv covered overnight. With him I just take the lid off the tub the next day so he can slither out on his own. The others fed in tubs I just lift out carefully, supporting their bumps, and allow them to slide back into their vivs. The no handling rule is generally unnecessary handling

Similar to kd, I feed both ways depending on the snake. I have one hatchling who wont eat unless in his RUB. But his RUB has kitchen roll as substrate.

My hognose gets fed in a seperate tub, but that tub has to be put back into his RUB and the lid put on that too. He wont eat unless it is done that way.

I also have one adult male corn I rescued. He will not feed anywhere but in his Viv. I tried many times to entice him to eat in a seperate RUB but he wouldnt. Now he is fed in his viv with some kitchen roll placed under the mouse.

All my other snakes are fed in seperate RUBs

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  00:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kath

Hi,

I've been told by the shop that we got our corn from to feed him in a little tub, seperate from his main home. I'm reading on the internet that you shouldn't do this as it means you're handling the snake straight after he's eaten & he may regurgitate.
***moved from Intros to General by GP***

I STILL cannot remember who said it, but another forumite once said something like: "After having a nice big dinner, there's a difference between walking to the sofa to veg out for a while compared to going for a 5 mile run"
Think of it as after the snake is eating you're just helping it get to the sofa . A normal handling session would be the 5 mile run, which is what has a risk of causing regurge.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000