New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  13:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi wondering if anyone can tell me when to go up to two pinkies. Paddy is four months old and had his first feed with us on thursday. The guy I got him from said he fed him every three days and he took all his feeds no problem. Just thinking when to move up a feed? He took the mouse with me fine and have been told every five days should be ok.
Thanks Terry.

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  13:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All mine are around five months old and just started on two pinkies (last feed) without any problems at all. Some keepers say if the belly bulge is not too defined that is when to up the feed, but mine always seem to have a bulge but as their weight was staying stable I decided to increase to two.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  14:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 days even for a hatchie is a bit too often, it'll only be digesting and doing nothing else. My hatchie is fed every 4-5 days currently. If you think from the size of your snake they can take the length of two pinkies try. I found using 2 pinks before moving onto fuzzies gets them used to the extra size in the prey

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  14:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks. will try him on one for the next feed then up it to two after that and see how he gets on.
Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2011 :  15:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yea he should be ok wit 2 pinkies unless hes a slow grower... mines about 5 month and just had his first fuzzie (a small fuzzy like) been on 2 picks since 3.5 - 4 month old
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  16:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tordyjo

3 days even for a hatchie is a bit too often, it'll only be digesting and doing nothing else.

^ this. My hatchies feed every 4/5 days xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

NikNacz2112
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  14:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we have two young corns one at 4 months and the other at nearly 6 months now. They are both only on one pinky each every 7 days still, should i be increasing this now? and should it be more frequent?

They both seem healthy and active enough and will eventually both have 3-4ft vivs of their own so plenty of rom to move around and get some excersise.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  14:19:18  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feed my 6 hatchies every 5 days. They've all been on 1 pinky but some of them are growing quite well so those ones will be onto 2 pinkies as of tomorrow.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  22:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. Going to try him on two pinkies on sunday. Let you know how he gets on.
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  21:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and have tried him on two pinkies tonight, and he took them without a problem. gave him a 5 min break between them (hope this is the right thing to do). He is now 5 months old and weighs in at 16 grams and measures 17 inches. does anyone know if these sound right?
Thanks Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  22:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, very similar to mine

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  22:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@niknacz 6 months and on a single pinky? I know growth rates differ, but my first corn, who I got at 6 months had been on small mice for quite a while when I got him, but he is quite large for his age!
My smaller one of similar age was on fuzzies from when I got him at 4 months, and he's around 8 months now and is taking small mice.
I'd certainly up the food, for the 6 month old in particular, try him on a couple of pinkies a feed, and then up it to fuzzies if he's happy with the two pinkies after a while. And try offering the small one two pinkies, my tiny corn at nearly 4 months just took her first two pinkie feed happily!

The 7 days between feeds is fine really! All mine have been fed weekly until they reach a good size, then they are fed fortnightly. My small hatchie is fed every 5 days, but it's not set in stone. A fed days extra inbetween isn't going to cause any harm :)

But thats just my 2cents, I dunno if you have corns that are exceptionally small or whatnot, thats just how mine are :)
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2011 :  23:17:36  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

My smaller one of similar age was on fuzzies from when I got him at 4 months, and he's around 8 months now and is taking small mice.

My yearling snow is still on fuzzies! She's only a third of the weight of my sunkissed, who is on small mice now. I was going to try her on a hopper, but tbh it's a fair bit bigger than a fuzzy, which is still showing as a lump in her belly.

She's healthy enough, so I don't worry about it, but I really would like to see her get some weight on. One of my new hatchlings will have overtaken her by Christmas at this rate! lol

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  12:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ptmbradley
My yearling snow is still on fuzzies! She's only a third of the weight of my sunkissed, who is on small mice now. I was going to try her on a hopper, but tbh it's a fair bit bigger than a fuzzy, which is still showing as a lump in her belly.

She's healthy enough, so I don't worry about it, but I really would like to see her get some weight on. One of my new hatchlings will have overtaken her by Christmas at this rate! lol

I guess I just grow em big lol
Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2011 :  15:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All my hatchies have been fed one pinky every 7 days . They have just reached 3 months old and yesterday was the first time I offered up 2 pinky's , all 10 took them np's , so I'm happy with the 7 day / 2 pinks feeding regime from now on for a while .

But yeah , like its been said , 3 days is far too often , even hoggies who have a faster metabolism are only 4/5 days :)

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  11:20:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so now he is on 2 should i move to every 7 days? thanks Terry.
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  12:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm using this guide posted on thecornsnake.co.uk Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/31273049277/doc/10150491478409278/

My 2 hatchies are 9g and 12g, and on 1 pinkie every 5 days.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  21:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mine is getting big quickly. was gonna think about incresing her feed in a few weeks but makes mor sense to go by weight than age. cheers.

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  22:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the input guys. Not on Facebook Dan is the thread on here on it's own? As he didn't have a problem with two mice will keep him on that for a while. Thanks again Terry.
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2011 :  23:04:29  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tk72

Thanks for all the input guys. Not on Facebook Dan is the thread on here on it's own?

Here--->

Some of you will be aware of the Munson Feeding Guide, and many of you probably don't use it, as you prefer to go by eye as to whether your snake is ready for the next size up. If find the actual Munson Feeding Plan is a little too shove it down the throat and watch them grow fast, so I have toned it down for my own snakes, so I will provide both versions here in.

I feed all of mine at 7 day intervals (that being the Sunday of every week, though you obviously chose a day to suit yourself) and if they miss a feed, rather then waste the mice trying to get them to eat it over the next few days, they wait a week to get them good and hungry, so they will defintely take the meal. If you feel cruel doing that, whatever suits you! I just don't have the money to be throwing mice away left, right and center, lol!

So, if you would like the actual Munson Feeding Guide as made by the man himself, here is the link to a site that has it stickied, so shouldn't go walkies any time soon : http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-50106.html

And this below is my version of the Guide, which thus far has done my snakes extremely well. To follow it fully, you will need some electronic scales to weigh your snakes, and if you're as anal as me, your mice too. All of my mice have been separated into freezer bags dependent on weight, and it can be quite shocking that a mouse that looks like a X-Large Adult (25-30g), and was sold to you as one, actually has the weight of a Medium Adult (15-20g!). Always good to check, I think!

Snake Weight | Type Of Mouse | Weight Of Mouse
4-15g | 1 x Pinkie Mouse | 1-3g
16-23g | 2 x Pinkie Mice | 2 x 1-3g
24-40g | 1 x Fuzzie Mouse | 4-6g
41-70g | 1 x Large Fuzzie Mouse/2 x Fuzzie Mice | 10-12g/2 x 4-6g
71-130g | 1 x Small Adult Mouse | 12-14g
131-200g | 1 x Medium Adult Mouse | 15-20g
201-300g | 1 x Large Adult Mouse | 20-25g
301-500g | 1 x X-Large Adult Mouse | 25-30g
501-700g | 1 x Jumbo (Ex-Breeder) Adult Mouse/1 x Small Adult Rat | 30-35g

At the last stage, if you move on to rats, it might be wise, due to the higher fat content, to push the feeding times back another week, so adults of this size are being fed once every two weeks, rather then once a week. Some keepers will do this anyway with their adults, to stop them from gaining too much weight, or just to keep things varied for the snake. Whatever you plan to do, remember that a adult corn, on average, will be around the 700g mark in weight, unless they are exceptionally small, or exceptionally large. The best way to keep your eye on their weight is to keep track of their 'hips', the area around the vent. Once they start looking a little too much like love handles, it may be time to look at altering the diet of your snake - they probably aren't growing any more, so don't need such an intense feeding regime!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000