A few questions on keeping corn snakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  17:46:11  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am (hopefully) going to get a Corn snake sometime soon :D
But, despite spending hours re-searching (mostly on this awesome website) I still have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with :)

1. Do Corn snakes make much noise at night? (Since when get one I will keep it in my room)
2. Is it better to get a hatchling or a fully grown snake as your first snake?
3. Is it better to buy from a pet shop or a breeder?

I hope you guys can help me :D
Thanks~

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  18:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im still a newbie do ill answer it from my point of view;

1. no noise at night. mine constantly trashes its RUB, but toilet rolls being moved don't exactly make much noise!

2. i bought a hatching just because i wanted to see it grow right from a baby. hatching can be a bit quick and a bit skittish over loud noises and creaks n stuff, but to me that was part if the fun.

3. definitely breeder if poss. its also cheaper!

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  18:52:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1. I have mine in my bedroom, Most nights are quite but in summer time when they have the horn you can hear them digging their substrate, moving viv furniture about and falling off stuff.

2. I'd say yearling but that's just my preference. With a yearling at least you know it feeds well but you can still watch the snake grow into adult hood. All snakes can whizz but the younger, the more prone and harder to keep hold of!

3. Depends I guess which one has the morph, age and sex if your bothered about details like that. Breeders tend to be cheaper.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 12/10/2011 17:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2011 :  20:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn makes no noise apart from falling from things and moving stuff around. Not really often though.

I got mine as an adult corn, was good but i didnt get much info on her when i got her. Hatchlings are fun tho :o) Can be fiesty, little nips, bit skittish. But all good!

Breeders tend to be cheaper and from what iv heard/read/been recommended they keep more information on each hatchling. Pet shops dont tend to keep feeding and shedding records.

Good luck though :D Very exciting stuff

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

FiestaSTLou
Yearling

United Kingdom
556 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Visit FiestaSTLou's Homepage  Click to see FiestaSTLou's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I only ever hear my snakes falling from the sides of their rubs when they are playing tarzan haha

I would say any age, adults are great as long as they have been handled regulary from the previous owner.

As for petshop vs breeder, i would say breeders are alot cheaper, but either is good as long as they know what they are talking about :)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  17:03:01  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

1. I have mine in my bedroom, Most nights are quite but in summer time when they have the horn you can hear them digging their substrate, moving viv furniture about and falling off stuff.

2. I'd say yearling but that's just my preference. With a yearling at least you know it feeds well but you can still watch the snake grow into adult hood. Also yearlings can whiz.

3. Depends I guess which one has the morph, age and sex if your bothered about details like that. Breeders tend to be cheaper.

I agree with all 3 above

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000