Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Another newbie question about temperatures!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

magpie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my thermostat arrived in the post yesterday, so I thought I'd have a go at setting up my faun , and I think I spent almost the entire afternoon fiddling with the temperatures trying to get them right!

Currently, the high end is reading between 29 & 29.5C... is this okay? Different sources seem to advise all kinds of different temperatures so I'm getting a bit confused! And yesterday the low end was reading a nice 21C, but this morning I've woken up to find it's dropped to 17C. I take it this is too low, so how do I stop this from happening? Would some insulation help (like putting the faun on a polystyrene base, perhaps)?

No snake yet :(
200L tank with 2 goldfish, 1 bristlenose plec & 8 wcm minnows
70L tank with 6 green neons, 4 khuli loaches & numerous cherry shrimp

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  10:25:58  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah that high temp is fine. Its what mine peaks at. The cool end is not as much of a problem. Tho the only way to have that end warmer is the room temperature really. So i wouldnt worry too much about it. The room mine is in is a similar temp and had no problems.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 06/10/2011 13:08:27
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:03:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
don't worry at all about the cool end, its the warm end you don't want too high. Mine are set to around 27 deg C.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As what simmy says, the cool end will usually be around the same temp as the room it's in. Generally when the snake learns that there's a nice warm comfy area and a cooler area, they will move about between the 2 at their own leisure.
I had cool end temps in my vivs of 8c last summer, I and I'd like to think that the snakes enjoyed having somewhere to chill from the heat we were having.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

magpie
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, thanks guys
I've nudged the thermostat down a teeny bit so it's closer to 28C now. I think I might be ready to start looking for a snake!

No snake yet :(
200L tank with 2 goldfish, 1 bristlenose plec & 8 wcm minnows
70L tank with 6 green neons, 4 khuli loaches & numerous cherry shrimp
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Happy hunting

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

ga-rat
Egg

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  16:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck finding your new snake friend..

0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snake = TANGEE

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000