Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I was rudley awoken by hubby last night at 1.45am. He was not impressed. I wondered what on earth he had woken me up for. He told me Miki (one of our cats) had heard/saw something down his side of the bed. And then he apparently heard some rustling noise.

Now hubbys side of the bed is a typical male bombsite. So he couldnt see what it was.

He checked my newts (one of them had escaped one day as Elvis (our big fat cat) had managed to bump the lid slightly...enough for it to squeeze through)...but they were still there.

So after waking me up with a couple of slaps on the duvet, he told me to check on Jupiter.

I looked into his viv and my heart filled with panic. I checked under both his hides and under the water bowl. Nothing there. Then I noticed it. The wee poop head had managed to nudge/push the back vent out!! So before hunting for him in the bedroom I popped the vent back in. I tried to push it out myself but it was very hard to do so (I have arthritis probs etc so have a poor grip etc anyway so this could be why I found it hard). Hubby secured the vent in and checked it cant be nudged back out. Then the hunt began...

I had to clear most of the **** from hubby's side of the bed, but no luck there. Then I spotted him behind his bedside table. That was moved, but in the process he slinked off. Couldnt see him. Thats when we decided to check the bed. By this time hubby was very very unimpressed (hes not a snake fan but puts up with them cos it makes me happy).

Now our bed is HUGE. The base of it was....umm.. aquired ..by my dad from the hotel he works in (honeymoon suite) so you can imagine how big it is. All our friends who have seen it joke that it could fit the waltons in it . hubby had to move the MASSIVE matress off the bed and unclasp the bit that seperates the 2 halves of the base (yes it is really that big!!) and lift it up at an angle. I looked under and thats when I saw him. I reached in and clasped my hand around him to bring him out. My lord he musked me and he musked me good! My hand was COVERED in smelly sticky water stuff, and he didnt stop at doing it once. He musked me several times before I got him back into his viv.

Needless to say, this morning when the kids got up at an ungodly hour, hubby refused to get up (it was my lie in day) reminding me that he was up at stupid o'clock in the morning looking for one of my snakes.

Hubby has sinced checked all of the vents on my other vivs and they are fine.

The moral of the story? Escapees can happen to any keeper. Please check that all of your vents are secured and cannotbe nose nudged out!

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you managed to get him so quickly, and hope you're smelling a bit sweeter today I got a bit carried away securing the vents, glued them in then went round them with a staple gun!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  13:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im lucky hubby took it so well. He apologised to me this morning after I woke him up after his lie in. I use the same brand of viv from surrey pets.. the 4 foot ones, the vents are totally secure. This 3 foot one in the bedroom was the one that wasnt I was watchin him slither round his viv a couple of hrs earlier. Wee poop head.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  14:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe he had a nightmare and went looking for his Mamma for a bit of comfort.

You could do a roaring trade with Miki as a snake tracker.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  15:26:55  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I push all my vents in from the inside and secure them using silicone even if they feel really tight. I like to cover all possibles lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  15:38:01  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I push all my vents in from the inside and secure them using silicone even if they feel really tight. I like to cover all possibles lol

Thats a very good idea. Hopefully my story will help others increase the security of their vivs xx

Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  16:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mamma, I have two 4th vivs from SPS and the vents are really tight But will now make absolutely sure they are escape proof.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  16:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you got him back, and glad hubby coped so well! If god forbid it happens again, remember to leave loads of shoes lying about!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  16:55:57  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wow you had a very interesting night then glad you found him

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Edited by - shaunb on 01/10/2011 16:56:24
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:24:44  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i nail my vents in with panel pins :D.

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christ,you must have both nearly had a fit,never mind you not being very popular for a while!
I too put my vents in from the inside and plaster sealent over them. Glad of it too as I've noticed Vader checking them out a lot.

Glad you found your naughty stinky snake.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  18:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lucky you realised so quickly and was able to round him up before he managed to get too far. I think you could lock a snake in a box with no holes and they'd find a way out. I haven't had an escape to date but I went as far as to escape proof the room, make sure there is no way under the floor, my only weak link is the fireplace but cant do much about that.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  11:51:44  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's quite a story Mamma! I'm really glad you got him eventually though

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  12:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hes a sneaky wee poo head Im gnona have to change his name to stevie mcqueen! Feed day yesterday... hes a drop feeder and you need to cover him up. SO I popped him in the smaller rub (closeness means he cant get away from the feed) and popped the smaller rub into the larger rub. Covered it over and left him to it. Checked on him later and he had gotten OUT of the smaller rub and was in the larger rub. The smaller rub's lid was still on perfectly tight etc and the mouse still inside the smaller rub

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  12:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol,he's one crafty snake!!

0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  12:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im gonna have to keep my eye on him I think!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  09:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, i glued the vents in with 2 ton epoxy, one of the boas still managed to pry them out!!! I ended up having to make the snake room escape proof as i could barely keep him in the viv!!! After i sold him, i heard he was still escaping from supposedly escape proof vivs!!

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  11:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

lol, i glued the vents in with 2 ton epoxy, one of the boas still managed to pry them out!!! I ended up having to make the snake room escape proof as i could barely keep him in the viv!!! After i sold him, i heard he was still escaping from supposedly escape proof vivs!!

I think Jupiter is gonna end up being like this! tsssk

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  12:24:27  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you found the little wotsit so quick. Now, I really wanna see a pic of this mahoosive bed of yours young lady!

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  12:45:30  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I always have a laugh watching mine trying to escape. Its always trying to squeeze its head throught he vent grills on the fauns. Funny thing is when she fails she tries the next couple along and does so all around the faun lol.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  13:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simmy_82

I always have a laugh watching mine trying to escape. Its always trying to squeeze its head throught he vent grills on the fauns. Funny thing is when she fails she tries the next couple along and does so all around the faun lol.

Not trying to worry you or owt,but just keep an eye on her if she keeps trying. An ex member on here had one of hers escape through those grills,it pushed them apart!

1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000