Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2011 :  23:57:58  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive just aquired a new hogg isle boa (female around 12 months old) off a friend of mine. the reason i got it off him is he wasnt looking after her properly and it hasnt eaten for 6months (still cost me £85! the cheek!) basically i just wanted to help her ive had it for just over 5 weeks and she still wont eat and is VERY bitey and im not sure she is drinking. ive tried her with braining, warming up food and recently a live rat pup but she seems terrified of everything. ive been told boas dont really go off food so is this a job for the vets? any other suggestions?
she is currently in a small rub with a heat mat that fluctuates between 28.5 and 33. she was formerly in a 4ft viv! with 1 hide and a waterbowl nothing else.

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  09:07:26  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1st up... get yourself signed up here: http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/forum/default.asp Theres a section also for other types of boas.

How has she been fed in the 1st 6 months of her life? Is she a strike or drop feeder?

Have you tried putting her in a rub/tub (at feeding time) that basically she can go in and not have much room to move? The aim of this is to pop the feed in with her and leave her to it. As she has no room to move around, she cant get away from the feed and has no choice but to touch it etc. This often entices them. (You can cover up the tub/rub as well...sometimes snakes like to be covered up so its dark when feeding... I have a drop feeder like this)

Young hogs can be known for being bitey. Try the scent trick. Carry something around on you for 24 hrs and then pop it into her enclosure. This will hopefully get her used to your scent and calm her down around you. It works for some people, and others it doesnt. I have used this trick before and it worked for me.

How is she for shedding do you know? Is she definately a she?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 27/09/2011 09:08:05
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2011 :  10:24:33  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of snakes that need feeding in a small covered tub or they won't eat. And I've got 3 hogg crosses and all 3 have a tendency to strike and constrict their prey but then leave it go. The male normally goes back to it a few mins later but both my females need to be left in peace. Not covered up, just left in peace. You could have a go with mice, rats, chicks, different times of the day. It's a matter of trial and error really. Has her weight been monitored? As long as it isn't dropping off I don't think there's TOO much of a worry, although obviously you want to see her eat.

For the aggression, google tap training. It has a reasonable success rate and I think I'm going to have to try it with my arab that arrived last week. She not been so bad since shedding but is still rather defensive. Tap training basically involves stroking the snake's head with a flat stick/snake hook before you lift them out. Helps settle them apparently.

The fact she was in a 4' viv isn't really a problem. Boas aren't agoraphobic in the way that corns are and don't mind the space. My male yearling is in a 3' quite happily with a warm hide, a water bowl and a couple of plants in the cool end to hide in. Most of the time he's out and about and sitting on his log looking out.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  21:34:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
boas certainly can go off their food and i wouldn't be overly concerned at the moment, there's been a lot of changes and she'll need time to settle again

what size RUB is she in and how big is she?
does she have 2 hides and a water bowl? if so the RUB may be too big. for my poor feeders they're in RUBS so small there's a warm hide and a water bowl and that's it. if they want to cool down they sit on top of their hide and the RUB is enclosed on 3 sides and on the top. not ideal and not as per usual recommendations but effective in these circumstances.

i'd knock handling on the head completely and only offer a meal once a week. depending on her size i'd offer a small/medium/large mouse with her in her own, secure, familiar enclosure and cover the whole thing with a towel/blanket for 24 hours leaving her completely undisturbed in that time.

weigh her so you have a starting weight them monitor monthly so you can pick up on any loss or gain - yes even non-feeders can gain a bit of weight!

as you're local to me (i think?) i can always help you out with her if needs be

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2011 :  22:14:38  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, def listen to gp! She got more snakey experience than most of the rest of us combined! Ignore my earlier drivel! lol

Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  23:36:40  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice peeps. Ive had her in a small rub since i got her. i tried the towel over the rub and she fed! woo hoo cheers gp!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  00:48:55  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brilliant news. I have to feed my crawl cay and one of my corns like that. As long as they eat it doesn't matter how we get there right?

Pleased she fed mate.

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  09:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try marinating the prey item in tuna brine for a minute or so before offering it to her. It's a strong smell and may entice her interest even more. Worked a charm for me when my pig of a hognose went off his food.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish

Edited by - Emmy1 on 30/09/2011 09:59:59
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  14:08:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
glad she took the feed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  11:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news and good on you for taking her in and giving her a chance

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  20:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job on the feed, temps wise, try and stabilise the temps a bit more, 28 is a little on the low side for boas, 30+ is where you wanna be. Had plenty of babies last year, and every single one of them went through the savage biter stage, time is the only healer of that one, and patience, even babies can give a fair whack and leave marks!!
For the time being, leave her alone, only get involved when it comes to feeding or changing water, for now, dont bother with the scenting thing, its likely to stress her out more at the moment.
Feeding wise, dont worry too much, they usually are very good feeders, granted, but from time to time they do have fussy moments, its not too much of a drama, but seeing as she has fed, you should be over that hurdle now. Avoid going down the live feeding route unless she doesnt feed for quite a while, a month maybe.
Viv size, keep her in the small tub, being in a big viv WONT help at all, whilst an adult boa will be fine in more or less any size viv, babies are still vulnerable, and they know it, so being in a big viv WILL stress them out. If the covering to feed works, stick with it, no point fixing something that aint broken! Temps are the most important though, fluctuating temps by that much arent good, if its a mat stat, go for a dimmer or a pulse, and if its a heat mat, my experience is that they do best with a lamp, althoug i keep my babies on mats as 25 heat bulbs wouldnt have been practical at all!!!! Either way, get a better stat on the mat and ramp the temps up to about 32, the reduction of fluctuations will help with the temper i would expect, although chances are, time will be the only real healer of that one.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  20:40:25  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cheers mike. and dont i no there bites have a good sting! all of mine have got me at some point. and thanks for the info on the stats, all 3 are on mat stats at the mo but shall change that as soon as

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  21:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of all the boas i have had, Hogs are the bitiest of them all, you just gotta weather through it. Other than my big girls, pretty much every boa has bitten me, its all fine, however if the big ones are in a mood, i avoid like the plague! i could do without 2 stone of boa attached to me!!

I know its easier said than done, but if you can avoid having the snake actually biting, then that will help long term, hissing and blowing off steam is fine, just get in, get her, get out, its easier shown than written, especially when watching tv!

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  22:01:31  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol! yeah must admit if she makes noise i leave her be! but will be brave next time! but i blame you if she bites me LOL! :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  20:33:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont worry, a bit of manliness will get you through it!!!

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  21:46:32  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my new arab girl is my problem child. She just HATES being disturbed and strikes and bites constantly when I go to take her out. Been trying her with tap training but no luck so far. Usually now I just put my leather gloves on straight away and go in to get her, and she normally bites the gloves several times before she calms down. That normally takes a minute or two and then she's generally good as gold and I take the gloves off. Hopefully it's something she'll get tired of and start behaving, coz if she's this moody as an 8' adult I'll be frightened to go near her! lol

Edited by - ptmbradley on 10/10/2011 22:45:46
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  21:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have your hands full there Pete!! TBH, i wouldnt bother tap training yet, tapping an already scared snake isnt gonna help much!! wait till she calms down before going down that road. Once you start though, you have to make sure that you ALWAYS use the same method, otherwise it confuses them and its pointless, as i have discovered with my girl, she was tap trained, i havent done it for ages, so when i used it the other day, she ignored it!!!

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2011 :  22:16:12  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah that was my thoughts re. tap training. She's already scared and nervous and there I am taking a stick to her! Hopefully she'll come to realise that biting doesn't actually achieve anything and she'll stop. Fingers crossed!

And good luck with yours mikeyd.

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  00:02:03  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
okay peeps i know its still a bit early. but she refusing food again!!! had her on a heatmat but changed the stat to a dimmer. and she very very bitey. I think ive taken on more than i should of with this one, due to my lack of experience with boas even though i own 2 they have beign easy compared to this 1!, and i dont want her to suffer because of my lack of experience. so if people such as GP, mikeR, gmac, kehlyr, corn morph master eejie want her ( or even people you can personnaly reccomend) then i will be more than happy to let her go for no price, just your own travel expense/courier ( as im skint cos im gettin married next year!) sorry if part of this post is in wrong section!

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  01:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hang in there bud they do calm down eventually, Sanke my Hogg is very tempremental but she is just beginning to calm after about 6 months or dodging strikes and been hissed at. The not eating thing just sounds like she is a shy girl around eating, its a very vunerable time for them, I can understand how it can be stressful for you when they don't eat but snakes can go a long time without food so dont worry that she is only eating every now and again, that may improve with time as she settles or it may just be the way she is, in the wild they dont eat to a schedule. You are providing her everything she needs so there is no suffering involved. I hope you decide to keep going with this one you're not doing anything wrong though if I was a little closer I would jump at the chance of a free Hogg, I love them even the fussy ones lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2011 :  01:37:23  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i get you lotabob ive had snakes for a whole 18 months plus now! errm yay me! but this one im worried about, the bites i can honestly take the fact that i really dont know what to do next is what bothers me. i just want a gud home for her. and i do own 2 other hogg isles so i thought i could handle/help this one = wrong!!! needs more than i can give in my own personnal knowledge and little time that i have...... ( im a chef a day off is rare! )

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!

Edited by - mikeyd_26 on 21/10/2011 02:07:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic