Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emerald-snake
Snake Mite

9 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tommorow I get a 3 yr old cornsnake who is in fine fettle .I intend for him to live in the corner of my living room in his vivarium ( the one he has been living in for the last year not a new one ).
I do smoke, getting a snake isnt going to stop me and like most home owners on occasion i spray a bit of airfreshner around the room and do the old shake and vac ..

Pedro the red row is a present for my 11 yr old and i dont want to inadvertantly kill him through passive smoking or contact with nasty chemicals .It would be obviously be nice to watch him do his snakey thing when all that is on tv is a load of repeats .....should he live in a different room away from my cigarette smoke and should i take care regarding air freshners and the like .
I would be grateful for any advice on this subject ... solid kowledgable advice rather than personal opinions .
Thanks people I'm new on this forum and have have found all the comments extremely helpful to date .

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2011 :  22:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't advise it. I learnt the hard way when several of my Leopard geckos all got ill over a period of 2 months. It turns out that my smoking made them ill, and 3 of them died.

Since then, I've moved house, and I don't smoke inside. And I had no problems at all with the geckos (until the crickets got on my nerves and I traded them for Plissken!).

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  01:44:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm a smoker, the only rooms I smoke in my house is the kitchen and my bedroom. Most of my reps are in my bedroom, the others are in my daughters room.
I've had no adverse affects from me smoking in my room with the reps. I have never sprayed any aerosols in my room, the windows are permanantly open (13 vivs with different heat sources make the room to hot with windows shut) so there's always a breeze coming through. However the windows are not all on one wall, so no matter how small the breeze of what direction, I always get it coming through.

In regards aerosols though I've had 3 different animals now that live in my daughters room that have developed eye issues in the past 15 months or so, but being an 18 year old she sprays a LOT more of different aerosols/incense sticks than most other people would swish about in their lounge. I only thought about that the other day, it could be coincidence though.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  02:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like my roll-ups and so far it has not affected anything but myself. The house is well enough ventilated between draughts, open doors and windows.

Aerosols and air fresheners carry explicit warnings against use near pets and house-plants. The only one I use is Raid Fly Killer which I use sparingly after steering bluebottles into the hallway. Having seen what 'Shake & Vac" powders can do to the innards of a Hoover I'd ban their use altogether. It's like putting grinding paste into engine oil and then going for a good thrash down the fast lane. Well, it was a few years ago when you could go for a thrash down a motorway.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  13:45:43  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't offer too much advice on the matter - but I have found this thread useful. Cheers (i am a smoker, but i do not allow smoking in the room AURYN resides...)

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  15:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh come on people they breathe whatever cra..rubbish is in the air, its not fair on them, they dont have any option, same as with kids, dogs, any other animal passive smoking is scientifically proven to be bad for health. I smoked for 10 years and I never smoked inside for the sake of my dog (not to mention it stinks and stains). It takes no effort at all to step outside for a few minutes (which is the best way to prevent passive smoking as air moves round homes even with doors shut).

Aerosols I would avoid spraying in the room the snakes are in, you can get air freshners that are just water and plant oils etc and have no propellent it does the job just as well and after a Boa has taken a dump in your living room you need something to stop the paint peeling from ther walls.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  17:03:00  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use body spray in my room with my reps and nothing bad has happened in 12 years although my windows are always open, the room is large and the door is open a lot of the time too and I don't spray half as much as some ladies do! I don't use air fresher though although the rest of the house gets blasted with one of those plugin ones so the smell can waft up to them. I would say avoid smoking and spraying if you can.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2011 :  17:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could say they are forced to breathe whatever rubbish is in the air, however what is more toxic, the air coming from outside when you live near a busy road, or the air in your room where you've just had a smoke?? A sun gas analyser will show you all kind of pollutants in the air, many are stronger and/or more dangerous than cigarette smoke.
If unsure, then just have a nice big fat blunt, that's all natural then.

In regards the whole chemical thing though, I believe that part of the issue is the near sterility than snakes live in (assuming sensible ownership), they have no real contact with many bugs so don't build up much of a defense against anything.
Much in the same way that children nowadays are mollycoddled and are brought to the doctors at the first sign of a sniffle, back when all this was nowt but fields and we actually went outside to play we'd get covered in lord knows what and come home, brush most of the muck off our hands onto our trousers and then eat a sammidge, the result: I can throw off the flu within about 10 hours.

I'm not saying that rooms should get filled with lord knows what to help build up a natural defense, I'm simply saying that being sensible with any airborne chemical is what should be done.

As a smoker myself, I am well aware of the unsubstantiated claims regarding passive smoking, and when/if real evidence gets found that supports the theory of it, then I shall re-consider. Until then...

*lights a pipe*

Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  17:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting post, my partner smokes in the living room (both types of ciggys if you know what I mean). We always have a window open just to air out the room, I've seen no damage done to our tarantulas or snake as of yet... I did tell him off for smoking with his/our dog on his lap just because of the whole can get cancer situation. Our cat is always out so she's fine lol

1.0 Fire Corn Snake (Solaire)
1.0 Carolina Corn Snake (Amber)
1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
0.1 Dog (Mini Schnauzer (Rosie))
Wishlist: MBK, Avalanche Corn
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  18:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw this a few days ago and it reminded me of this post, strange!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15421552

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  22:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I love the claims still that scientists have discovered links to passive smoking.
No they haven't.

There is still no real evidence that passive smoking is bad, it's all supposition and circumstantial.

My ex-wifes grandad died because of lung cancer, he never smoked anything in his life. The doctors said it was probably linked to the fact his brother smoked like a chimney, he had only ever been in a room where people had been smoking maybe twice in his life.
But that's the 'evidence' they used.
My grandad done nothing but drink and smoke from when he was about 12 (glaswegian fella, so not surprising), yet he lived a nice full life for 80 odd years until skin cancer done him in.
Maybe is he stayed out of the beer gardens he would still be alive.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  23:17:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Scientist haven't 100% discovered a link between smoking and lung cancer believe it or not, it is still a debated subject amongst scientists.

My cat is currently a second hand smoker he loves it. He runs outside when my sis or dad are going out for a fag and sits next to them whilst they puff.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  00:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Whereas I have a fierce battle with my cat every night when I break out the bong.
The cat always wins and gets the best tokes simply because she has sharper claws.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  08:52:06  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you not equipped new rocks or boots that are similar to kick this cat away? The sound of bones breaking and then a cat screaming as it hurdles over our fence onto next doors garden is a brilliant one and will be sure to win you the fight.

Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  09:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Whereas I have a fierce battle with my cat every night when I break out the bong.
The cat always wins and gets the best tokes simply because she has sharper claws.

Funny, our cat hates it.. My partner is evil to her..calling her over letting her think its food..then lets her sniff a bud. Her face screws up so much LOL

1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  10:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of our cats will run away with our green. She will hunt it down, make her way into where it is hidden and run off with it :| This happens on a daily basis. (I have green every night when the kids are asleep. Works much better than all the rubbish meds the hosp have me on)

However we dont smoke that or fags in the house cos of the kids, we have a wee cupboard at the back of the house that has the back door in it. We sit in the cupboard with the back door open and the door leading to the kitchen/rest of the house shut lol. It is referred to as the smoking cupboard and the kids know not to go in it.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 31/10/2011 10:48:56
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  12:55:25  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Puzzle (our cat) isn't fussed by smoking stuff (green, hash, tobacco) at all...however, a friends cat (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Wolfie for short)) will ALWAYS run off and hide hash...and the stash has NEVER been found, so either Wolfie eats it or my friend is going to eventually find the motherload!!

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

c00ki3z
Hatchling

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  13:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garrie
my friend is going to eventually find the motherload!!

What a pleasure that would be when you didn't have any :P

1.0 G.Rosea (Hailey)
0.1 G.pulchra (Ebony)
0.1 Cat (Brea)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2011 :  15:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garrie

Puzzle (our cat) isn't fussed by smoking stuff (green, hash, tobacco) at all...however, a friends cat (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Wolfie for short)) will ALWAYS run off and hide hash...and the stash has NEVER been found, so either Wolfie eats it or my friend is going to eventually find the motherload!!

Lol,thats gonna be one mega chilled out cat!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  12:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dear lord theres alot of very relaxed members here. i would join you, but im not allowed :( as for the origional q, i dont think if the snake is in a viv it'l actually get that much passive. i wouldnt worry about it to much mate.

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  14:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, who needs catnip when there's hashish on the premises!

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: