New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  13:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering was there any recommended reading on breeding.

I am not going to breed for a while but was interested in the genetics. There are "Hot Words" which appear over and over and although I understand the different between different traits, I still dont really understand how the percentages of certain morphs per egg works out and what genes are more dominant than others.

Sorry ^^ this is as clear as I can be... Confused

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  17:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no expert but as I read it the ONLY dominant gene is normal. In order for a baby so show a morph then both parents must at last carrier the recessive gene.
For example I have a Normal and a Pewter if I been them I will only get (a Pewter is made up of both Charcoal and Diffused)
100% Normal het Charcoal, Diffused. (the percentage just shows you the chances)

But if I then breed one of these normal het Chatcoal, Diffused to a pewter each egg stands a 1 in 4 chance (or 25%) of been either
Normal het Charcoal Diffused
Charcoal het Diffused
Diffused het Charcoal
Pewter

If the parents do not carry recessive which are compatible then all of the babies will be normal but het for the genes which make up the parents.
Example:
Butter (Amel, Caramel) X Granite (Anery, Diffused) will give 100% Normal het Amel, Caramel, Anery Diffused
You can the breed this normal back to a Granite to give each egg 1 in 4 chance of
Normal het Anery Diffused 50% poss het Amel Caramel
Anery het Diffused 50% poss het Amel Caramel
Diffused het Anery 50% poss het Amel Caramel
Granite 50% poss het Amel Caramel

Sorry if that all even more confusing but it make sence to me the guys who runs Ians Vivs is normally I really good help. (Sorry Can't remember his user name)

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  17:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there are a few dominant genes in corns now other than normal, is worth having a look through Iansvivarium is a good starting point

Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  18:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool I'll head over to Ians Viv and have a look

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  19:16:10  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have a read through this lot, its a very good site to learn how it all works and what stuff means: http://www.vmsherp.com/LearningCenter.htm

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  19:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it really sad that I have no intention to breed yet still want to spend the next few hours reading through the above?? Well it saves me doing the house work :)

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2011 :  23:46:05  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not at all, its as addictive as corns themselves :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000