Tripod has just shed.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2011 :  22:17:52  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

so i was sat on the floor with Tuppence while s/he tucked into his tea and I noticed Tripod peeping out of his/her hide watching us when totally out of the blue s/he started to shed, it was fascinating to watch, it took him about 30 - 40 minutes to pull it all off and the only bit I can still see is a small triangle on the end of his nose which s/he hasn't managed to rub off, his toes and tail all look to be clear.

I wasn't sure whether s/he would still be hungry so I offered him just one small cricket and one mealworm, s/he ate the mealworm but hid from the cricket so I don't think s/he's been fed on those which is a relief as I don't like the little houdinis, I only took 4 small ones upstairs and 3 have managed to escape already, I will try with them again tomorrow but if Tripod still refuses them it might be a trip to the field for a mass release.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  00:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!! lol, must have been very interesting to watch, does that mean that h/she felt comfortable enough to shed, or would happen regardless? i do hope the little sweetie felt comfortable enough, i only ask as i have no idea

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  01:28:34  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Tripod is settling in well.

Have to agree with you about crickets. I have no problem feeding my hedgehogs mealies (as well as their pupae and the beetles they turn into) but I don't do live crickets. Fortunately the hedgies are perfectly happy with the frozen crickets I get online from Livefoods. I tried the Can-O-Crickets but the stench as soon as i opened the can gave me the boke.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  08:30:46  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Morning Scotishbluebird, Tripod crawled on my hand when I was putting the hides back in his viv after catching the cricket and after a couple of minutes s/he settled down and went to sleep, s/he stayed there until I moved him/her because my hand had gone numb so I don't think s/he's nervous of people at all, ming s/he could just have been exhausted after shedding I suppose.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2011 :  08:42:30  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Morning Thistle, perhaps I will just go and release the crickets in the field then and stick with the mealworms. I dropped a whole tub of crickets on the kitchen floor when I had the Tokay, they vanished under the skirting boards in seconds and they used to turn up all over the place some even managed to find their way into the packets of cereals in the wall cupboards yuk it was horrible.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2011 :  16:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ozziesmum

Morning Scotishbluebird, Tripod crawled on my hand when I was putting the hides back in his viv after catching the cricket and after a couple of minutes s/he settled down and went to sleep, s/he stayed there until I moved him/her because my hand had gone numb so I don't think s/he's nervous of people at all, ming s/he could just have been exhausted after shedding I suppose.

That is fantastic,i have a soft spot for Tripod!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page