New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  20:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everybody
i am tryin to feed my hatchling corn for the first time, i was told to put it in a small tub with the pinky and place in its viv, leave it there untill it eats it then remove the lid and let it come out when its ready, only it really dont seem interested in the food so how long do i leave it like this for, have i done something wrong or is it just not settled in yet
thanks

0.0.1 creamsicle corn (chilli)
0.0.1 bearded dragon (lizzy)
1.1.0 rabbits (rex & molly)
0.1.0 cat (bella)

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  20:59:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
leave it overnight and check it in the morning.......try not to keep checking tonight as you might put it off

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  21:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when did you get your hatchling? Its usually best to leave them for 7 days from bring home to settle before feeding. Sometimes they need you to wiggle it a little (the mouse) to stimulate the feeding response. If it doesn't feed don't worry, just put the snake back in its house and try again when the next feed would be due.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  21:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got her friday so its nearly a week, if i leave it over night what if she gets to hot or cold or wants a drink she hasnt got the room to move around, am i worring to much sorry

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  21:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
leave the tub in the viv but the lid off then she can get to her water ect. if she wants it she'll get it if not then remove the pinkie in the morning and throw it away and try again in a a few days or even a week,is the temps ok in the viv as i think this can affect thier appetite.
Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  22:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks her temp is 26, i have taken the lid of gave the pinky a wigle and she hid from it so now going to leave her in peace for the night and hope its gone by the morning
thanks for the advise

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  22:54:27  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
temp wise around 28 degrees is better. ( i have my thermostat set so it fluctuates between 27 and 30 ) if she doesnt take the pinky overnight, after 5-7 days try a method called braining ( a slit in the pinkys skull ) this usaully helps due to the scent of brain matter ect..
hope this helps :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  23:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you can let us know what your setup is like, it may help as well.
There is a list here: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662 of things that we like to know to make it easier for us to help you.
It'll save time and give the ability for results to be a bit quicker in coming as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok

hatchling, 7-9weeks, 7g
13inchs
pinky last thru (at the shop)
got it on fri
tepm in warm end is 26 with a heat mat
exo terra thermometer in the hotter end
aspen
snake fed every thrusday

she never did eat the pinky

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how big is the snakes housing?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  08:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its in a plastic hatchling box that was recomended by the shop its about 13inches

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  10:19:13  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming the exo-terra temp guage is the little round dial one? If so, is it on the side of the faun??
If it is, then it's wrong. If it's on the mat it's wrong as well. Unfortunately they are useless, you'll be better off getting a cheap little digital probed thermometer.

I'd also invest in a thermostat asap as well, these will keep the temps at the right level for the snake and make the heat mats use less electricity as well.

I'm assuming the heatmat in underneath the plastic faun as well, if so, how far under it?
It's possible that it might not be eating due to the heat issue as well as new home syndrome.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  20:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah you are right its the round one and its on the side of the faun, will go out and get both of them tommorrow, yeah the heatmat is under think there is a gap of about 1cm

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  21:27:37  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
leave the snake in the tub with the lid on so it can't get out, and the darker it is the better. Don't worry about access to water or needing to stretch, leaving the lid off a tiny tub defeats the object of using it.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

nickinoonoo
Snake Mite

28 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  08:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
think i have found out why she didnt eat the other day, she shed for the first time last night yay

0.1.0 cat (bella)
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2011 :  12:13:45  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
that's cool, well hopefully she will eat for you now

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000