uneaten mice ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:46:49  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys this will probably be another one of my notoriously stupid questions but..
What should be done with uneaten mice ? Eve didnt eat yesterday (shes shedding)just wondered if they can be refrozen or if they will keep in the fridge for a day or two or should they be discarded
yesterdays uneaten pinkie was promptly scoffed by my eternally ungry oscar lol im sure he will happily scoff any uneaten mices just wondered what the correct protocol is ?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give mine to my monitor
Dustbin of the reptile world!

I think you can refreeze them once, but pinkies are all squishy to start with so i wouldnt refreeze those

Edited by - Figs on 30/08/2011 12:49:51
Go to Top of Page

MiffyKnits
Snake Mite

45 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:51:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never even thought about that. I suspect I'd just bung it in the wheelie bin with the ones the cats bring back.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bung them in the bin tbh. No idea if they can be refrozen, but I dont wanna risk anything. So in the bin they go.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put any that are refused straight in the bin. Better to be safe than sorry.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:55:38  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If AURYN doesn't eat (only ever been because he was in blue), i generally will leave the mouse in his Viv overnight (on a sheet of tissue) - if it is still there in the morning then i just bin it, though i don't have anything else to feed it to (the cat won't touch it, cos its already dead...). I wouldn't want to keep it/freeze it after being in a twenty-something degree viv all night. Hope that helps.

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  12:56:18  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeh i didnt really wanna refreeze them to be honest i just wasnt sure severus (my oscar) is more than happy to eat them lol even the fuzzies wont touch the sides though Eddie hasnt refused a feed yet lol not even when shedding

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  17:09:00  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I usually throw mine in the bin since they have been sat in the viv almost 24 hours. If I'm feeding in tubs and a snake having multiples doesnt seem interested then I will put one of the mice in the viv overnight and the other will go to one of my less picky snakes as a pudding. At least then I'm only wasting one instead of 2.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  17:36:10  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats a good idea this would have been eves first feed with me since i got her and shes also shedding so im not to worried about it i just wondered to be honest i wasnt sure really how long was an acceptable amount of time to leave them in the viv for before they are considered uneaten

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  17:55:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i refreeze.........
we used to stagger feeding the corns and put any uneaten mice in the fridge for the next feed in a few days time. now we feed 'corns and boas' week 1 and 'corns and pythons' week 2 so anything uneaten gets refrozen providing it's not been in the warm end of an enclosure for 24hrs+!
as opportunistic feeders in the wild they'd not turn down a 'recently deceased' easy meal and to be honest, snake's are far better judges of what is 'off' and inedible. just as an example, one of my adult boas will sit on his jumbo rat and use it as a pillow for a few days, yes days, before deciding to eat it, and believe me there's no way you're taking it off him to bin it before he considers it 'ready'!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  17:58:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I give mine to the snake bin. My king is wasting and turning up food... (damn usless snake he's suppossed to be the bin!) so I use the big fat corn bin. Or refreze if they haven't been out too long and stink, so a max of 8/10 hours out. Anything that gets left overnight goes in the green wheely bin.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  18:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another user of the snake bin, except mine is a chain!
Rimmer refuses -> Given to Psiren
Psiren refuses -> Given to Lister
Lister Refuses -> Given to Holly
Holly Refuses -> I bin it, she's adult size!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  19:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our Ferrets get them, they sit patiently on feeding night willing the sakes not to eat :D

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2011 :  19:53:39  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lmao gmac id love some ferrets everyone tels me they stink really bad though (im completely anosmic have no sense of smell at all) stinky pets dont bother me at all but they would bother anyone visiting lol we used to have a penfull of about 40 ferrets when i worked at secret world i loved feeding them they were great fun awesome lil critters id always promised myself when the chcinhillas were gone i might get some polecats/ferrets now however i have a sneaky suspicion the space will be taken up by a stack of vivs lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: