Buying mice in bulk ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  00:31:29  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys just a quickie i will soon be needing to buy in some more food for eddie ive been looking online debateing maybe ordering some online as its a lil cheaper than locally sourcing them
Though im wondering if the mice have a shelf life frozen should they be discarded after a certain length of time if so then ill just stick with buying small amounts locally theres no point me buying say a bag of 50 if half of them will half to be discarded after a while
Just wondered what yyou all do buy on a feed by feed basis buy a small amount at a time or buy in bulk (im assuming those of you with handfulls of snakes obviously buy in bulk)

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  02:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I buy my mice at the local petshop at a fairly high price. For a single snake a bag of 10 was enough stock. Now that I have 3 it might soon be a viable option to buy bulk online once they are all up to eating the same size. At the moment the extra carriage costs just about cancels the saving, plus the need to be available to take receipt of the delivery is a bit of a bind.
I might be able to get a small reduction on the petshop bulk but I suppose you pay for convenience.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  10:05:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you only have like 1-3 snakes it's normally cheaper to buy them locally. I buy 4/5 months worth of food so the max time I will have it in the freezer is 6 months. Though the majority of people seem to only store them for about 3 months.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Lixra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
286 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  10:09:02  Show Profile  Click to see Lixra's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We've got about 40 corn snakes at our place (but that includes little babies that have hatched), so buying food at the pet shop just isn't feasible anymore!

We use A & N Frozen Foods (http://anfrozenfoods.co.uk/), they're the cheapest we found and the quality is just fantastic. One of the things I love about them is they split up their mice pinkies into small and large categories. So if you have a young corn snake that's really too big for regular sized pinkies but not quite ready to move on to mice fuzzies (or rat pups), they have got a size for them!

As far as "shelf life", we buy our mice/rats twice a year, so enough for 6 months at a time and never had a problem. Only reason we don't buy enough for a year at a time is we simply don't have the freezer space, and we have two!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  21:31:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main problem with buying in bulk for only a few snakes is that you would need to buy a minimum amount for them to stay frozen in transit (A&N recommend the equivalent of 200 mediums). If you have a few people you can chuck in with then it becomes a realistic option because you will all end up with a reasonable amount of mice without having 12 months supply all at once and the postage becomes negloigable because its all shared :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  09:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made an order for 120 mice from pinkies to smalls for the first time a couple of weeks ago through TSM. They recommended the option of dry ice for me and the mice arrived very well frozen.
Its only something that I've done now I have a few snakes though. With one or two,by the time you've paid for P and P it often turns out cheaper to but from a shop.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  09:52:01  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys i bought a bag of mice from the place i bought eddie $4.60 for ten fluffs but its a half hour car drive from here so i went to all the reptile stockists in town pices ranged from £7-£9 for a pack of ten fluffs much as it pains me to admit this pets at home were actually the cheapest at £5 so think what ill do is just buy a couple bags at a time and when i get a few ,more snakes ..which will happen sometime in the future obviously itll then be more cost effective to buy in bulk thanks guys

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2011 :  10:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the one nearest me are around that price, but TBH if ive got a spare tenner i just pop round and top up my stock, but i try not to have more than around 3-4 months worth.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000