New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently got my baby corn snake a new 3 foot viv £60 :) it came with a basking bulb and a heat mat. I took the old mat out as it was damaged and kept the light in there. My question is about the lighting what other lights can i use just to light up the viv as the basking gets too hot and the heat mat is just too much for the snake? or isnt it?
The guy in the pet shop said i dont even need a heat mat?? i was like im sure they do coz they use thE heat to digest their food?
i dnt want to keep the light on as it gets very hot and im scared about the snake burning him self on the bulb. If any one can help id really be happy as i dont like looking at a dark viv :(

Edited by - gmac on 14/08/2011 22:57:37

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the viv is there plenty of hides etc as snake may feel scared with all the big space, i may be corrected here, but id have heat mat, do away with bulb, if you want light then id suggest led strip, or if you use bulb get a guard

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has a hide on the hot side and he hides under the plant on teh cool side there is a tooth paste box in the but he doesnt use it he hides under the bedding too, the guy in teh shop said use a 40 w normal bulb if u just want light? what are these other lights u were saying?

Mod Edit, turned your signature off please resize it and check this thread for signature advice. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15428

Edited by - gmac on 14/08/2011 22:57:21
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could use a normal energy saving bulb for light. They don't get hot but you still need it protected by a bulb guard so that snakie can't crush the bulb. Be careful if the snake is a hatchy tho as they can still get inside some guards. Whether you are using a bulb or a mat for your heat, you need to have it controlled with a thermostat and monitor the temperatures with a digital thermometer. If you have a thermostat set up correctly then neither heat source would get too hot.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:57:10  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you may just want to use a 2.0 UVB tube, i would keep it on a mat *with a thermostat) set at around 30 degrees

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  22:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont have a thermostat just heat mat as this is what the guy said i only need.?

Mod Edit, turned your signature off please resize it and check this thread for signature advice. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15428

Edited by - gmac on 14/08/2011 22:58:47
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  23:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LED strip lights, they dont get hot, can be glued on or some have sticky backs, can get what colour you like
If you look at the section Snake Related Diy there are pics of led lights in there, i dont know how put the link in here to show you the right one sorry!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes

Edited by - scottishbluebird on 14/08/2011 23:06:08
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  23:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a thermostat, stops the heatmat from cooking your snake.

Also, a 3 foot viv for a baby corn? Nah. Get a faunarium and keep it in that until it's big enough. My adult corn is about to move to a 3ft.
Go to Top of Page

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he was getting to big for the tank i had him in from when he was a baby baby he seems to be ok in it he ate last night x3 pinkies. i will def look in to these led lights they sound perfect and sounds like the right thing i need thanks !!!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2011 :  23:46:30  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Before you bother with lights you need to make sure you have got your thermostat and digital thermometer set up. If you don't, you not only risk your snake getting some very nasty burns but also nearological problems.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  00:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ohh okies i was planning to get one of them stick on ones exo terra ones??? why do these places that sell these animals not tell you. hes been fine up untill now. the guy at the pet shop said i dnt need a heat mad as i have doble glazing but im still leaving that on, With them thermometer what temp should it be reading coz i knw theres a red yellow and blue thing on it where the arrow should be pointing
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  00:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
always use a heat mat, you may not notice, but at night or in the day sometimes, your house may get very cold, for a small snake it will slow them down and may stop them feeding, many people do leave them without mats, and they may be ok, but the fact is that the temperature of the viv is dramatically lower than their natural environment, and their natural environment is what we are trying to imitate by using heat sources

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  00:29:04  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Some of these pet shops that sell reptiles are really rubbish and are only intrested in the profit that they can make, not in the welfare of the animals.

The stick on exo-terra thermometers are pretty rubbish and are certainly not accurate. The temperature of the warm end ideally needs to be between 27 and 29C measured using a digital probe thermometer laid directly on top of the heatmat. The sensor probe for the thermostat can be rubber banded together with the thermometer probe so they are both reading from the same place.
You can get a thermometer from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH-/230643242787?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item35b3689723 and a thermostat from here http://reptilekeeping.co.uk/habistat-mat-thermostat-p-368.html. Usually I would advise turning off the heatmat until you have a thermostat but since he only ate last night I would say keep it on for another 24 hours just while he finishes digesting.

Please spend some time reading the care sheet on this site and the sticky topics at the top of each section on the forum. Anything you are not sure about, you can use the search function at the top right of the page or ask us. We were all new once and are here to help.

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

kerry84
Egg

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  00:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awww brill thank u so much thats helped me !! i have never turned the heat mat off and never had problems with him eating or sheding.when i get the thermometer i put that on the heat mat so see if the heat being given off is enough?
and the thermostat im not sure what does ?
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  09:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A Thermostat switches the heat mat on and off when the temperature goes too far away from the desired temperature, meaning the temperature is always right to a few degrees. If a heat mat is on constantly, it will get hotter and hotter and hotter, I once plugged a small Microclimate heat mat straight into the wall and measured the temperature (obviously with no snake inside!) Measured it with a digital thermometer, the temperature got to 65 Celsius and was still going, a thermostat is essential! Have a look on my site, I have just secured a deal with Habistat so im now stocking the habistat mat stats, I have found them to be very accurate for an on/of thermostat

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000