New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nox
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  17:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else agree there is a major fundamental inconsistency with morph names and definitions?
I also noticed that "ph" and "het" are used unusually here. Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for the confusion!

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  17:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Het and PH are commonly used terms to describe the genetics of snakes. They are accurately used on this forum for the most part. HET, well that's obviously just describing recessive genetics, and PH (Possible het) just describes that something has a percentage chance of a recessive gene, which is usually followed by a percentage, ie, 50% or 66% or something.

I think that the lines get blurred with morph names when selectively bred specimens begin getting called morphs, for example RO's, Candycanes, Sunglows and Flourescent Oranges are ALL Amels, which is the gene, they are just bred over time to produce bright colours or whatever it may be. The same goes for patterns, Hurricane is just a selectively bred motley for example.

That's my take on it, and I reckon breeders should be more careful with names that they label snakes with, as it will confuse buyers, sometimes they may even do it just to make a newbie think that have something extra extra rare, just because it's called something that they haven't heard of before...

That's just my $0.02 though

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  17:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
p.s. for a list of definite genetic morphs and those that are just selectively bred fancy names, see:

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  18:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some uses of 'het' confuse me....
Like someone will type "amel het" or something.
Yes... het for what?

Also, i dont personally think creamsicle corns, junglecorns, turbocorns etc should have the word 'corn' in there.
They are hybrids, and especially the rat/corn hybrids that look similar to corns could very easily be confused with or sold as pure corns and ruin somebodys breeding plans
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  18:47:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think cornsnakes have the most consistent morph names going. They are either descriptive of what they do (eg. amelanistic = no black) or descriptive of their colour (eg. butter = a light yellow corn).

If you compare them to the two other most popular morphed reptiles its all very easy, ie a Nova or Typhoon leopard gecko or a Queen Spin or Lori royal gives away nothing at all as to what you should expect to see.

I also agree with Figs that hybrids should not be labelled as 'xyz corn', thats just plain misleading.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:09:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i too agree that a hybrid should be labelled as such
and i think the whole 'amel het' thing is that some people using the terminology don't actually understand it but want to appear to be 'talking the talk'
however people that do know what they're on about pick up on the nonsensical or downright ludicrous

as for the standardisation of morph names, i think they are fairly standard, and if you know your stuff then you'll pick up on a made-up name that's been invented to revamp old stock that they can't sell, or been made-up because of their ignorance on the subject of morphs

i had to lmao at a classifieds thread on the darkside a few weeks ago, the OP was selling chocolate orange corns, achieved by breeding a chocolate corn and an orange corn! numpty!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:13:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

and i think the whole 'amel het' thing is that some people using the terminology don't actually understand it but want to appear to be 'talking the talk'

and on the next thread i look at i spotted a typical example of my point above ^^:
"Normal coralino corn snake
-anery het corn snake
-normal bearded dragon"

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  20:56:37  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I had a chocolate orange corn I would call him 'Terry'

....then eat it!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:02:42  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mmmmmmmmmmmm and if only chocolate labradors were real chocolate........

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:14:25  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

mmmmmmmmmmmm and if only chocolate labradors were real chocolate........

mmm chocolate.....

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:24:16  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think I would like to eat my chocolate lab, I know where he has been lol

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:53:42  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I don't think I would like to eat my chocolate lab, I know where he has been lol

If anything like my old lab, im guessing rolled in something pongy or been swimming in the smelliest water source it could find lol

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2011 :  21:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa this thread went of topic quite quickly to eating Chocolate labs...lol we are all easily amused
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  09:37:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't eat a choccy dog or even a normal dog as I've seen plently of dogs roll in poo or eat poo D: I unno, I gues the poo aspect puts me off. As for choccy snake, I don;t think so as they will be a bit meltly with a heat mat.

I get a bit confused when people say for example, amel het but don't fill the blank in to what the hets are. Although I get confused with most morphs, a snow and a blizzard to me is just a white snake! And then theres a ton of orange snakes, some grey ones, yellow with black or no black...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2011 :  19:08:00  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

a snow and a blizzard to me is just a white snake! And then theres a ton of orange snakes, some grey ones, yellow with black or no black...

sounds like you been reading K's encyclopedia of corn morphs, haha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  09:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

and on the next thread i look at i spotted a typical example of my point above ^^:
"Normal coralino corn snake
-anery het corn snake
-normal bearded dragon"

I have just fixed that bit of pure stupidity.
It was bugging me as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  09:15:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarotpodge

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

a snow and a blizzard to me is just a white snake! And then theres a ton of orange snakes, some grey ones, yellow with black or no black...

sounds like you been reading K's encyclopedia of corn morphs, haha

WEll the are both white... just one looks like it's yellow snow...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Nox
Egg

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2011 :  21:21:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaah. I got confused with PH, thought it was 'phenotype' and there you see my confusion. Yes I have noticed people making things up and people believe Carolina is a colour. Confusing but yes this got off topic a tad! thanks for the replies though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000