Brumation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  17:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. If I were to hibernate my snakes over winter for breeding purposes, could I use this product and set the temperature to 45-65 degrees Fahrenheit if I kept a water dish in the box and filled it regularly?

Product: http://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.uk/miscellaneous/incubators/015561224994

If not, it's not a problem. It might just make things easier.
If so, I might decide not to.. because I'm indecisive like that lol

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope thats an incubator, you just turn the heating down, but in all honesty corns dont really need to be brumated.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  20:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
45-65 F sounds like a massive difference in temps. Unfortunately I have no idea what that is in Celcius, but you'd need to be around 15 celcius for brumation.
If that drops to 15c and hold stable then it should be ok. Although I have no experience of brumation, so you may want a second opinion on that from someone who has done it before.

/ninja edited:
ALso how big/small is it? It's a fair amount of dosh to spend on something that looks tiny (or the beardie on the box is MASSIVE).
I believe there are a few on here who have brumated without cooling systems.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  22:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it definately drops to 15 and holds stable (cooling and heating, and built-in thermostat to control temps). And lol the beardie on the box is rather blown up me thinks, I know that you can fit a snake inside (or two). I'm going to get it (need it as an incubator anyway) and go from there.

edit: Also, I can get it about fifty pounds cheaper on another site, so I'm rather pleased ^_^

Edited by - LarkaDawg on 04/08/2011 22:15:11
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  22:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I've read that brumation improves fertility (aparently proved lol), and anyway, I just want to try it all out for future breeding (this is my first time).
Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant help with the brumation although I know it's not completely necessary. He incubator should do fine look up videos on YouTube to see the size for yourself coincendently I was looking at incubators for breeding also and stumbled across it. I won't be breeding 70% till th following year. 2013 with school and what not.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  23:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its a completely pointless excercise, just turn the stat down on the viv, thats all you need to do.
If there was a need or a market for the sort of thing you are on about, then there would be, and it wouldnt be called an incubator!!

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  00:01:55  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
turning the stat down alone may not get the temperature low enough, if its too high the snakes metabolism won't drop low enough so will use too much body resources while not being fed which defeats the object of brumating.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  07:51:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
might need to turn off the central heating in the room the snake's are in..........unless you have a cold house

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  08:23:48  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not wanting to hijack the thread but GP you raise an issue that's on my mind.

Our house isn't particularly warm and gets down to about 10C in the winter, would I be best off to brumate my snake during the winter or just allow a fairly cold cool end and keep the warm end up?

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page

LarkaDawg
Hatchling

442 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  12:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah its called an incubator, but it does say that its ideal for hibernation (or brumation) and thats what made me think. My house stays really warm in winter and my parents keep the heating on, I don't think I'd be able to persuade them to turn it off for the snakes. So I either don't brumate them, or brumate with some kind of cooling device. And I'd actully like to try brumating them, at least just for future refference! :P
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  14:22:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by awlred

Not wanting to hijack the thread but GP you raise an issue that's on my mind.

Our house isn't particularly warm and gets down to about 10C in the winter, would I be best off to brumate my snake during the winter or just allow a fairly cold cool end and keep the warm end up?

i'd personally just leave things as they are, if the house is cool or cold there'll be a greater difference between the warm end and cool end temps but that's no biggie

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  16:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

/ninja edited:
ALso how big/small is it? It's a fair amount of dosh to spend on something that looks tiny (or the beardie on the box is MASSIVE).
I believe there are a few on here who have brumated without cooling systems.

Internal dimensions are 10.5 x 8.5 x 14.5"

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  16:36:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
teeny tiny then!!!

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  17:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok im slightly confused. do females need to brumate before breeding or is it down to choice?

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  19:09:43  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Though I'm certainly no expert, based on what I've read some find it nessessary or helpful to brumate prior to breeding, but some find it easy enough to do without.

In nature, most areas where Corns are found in the wild don't stay warm enough and so brumation happens, followed by breeding in the late spring. It seems reasonable to me that coming out of brumation would trigger the breeding response. That said most corns are generations away from being wild and so the response may be breeding out ergo some don't have a need to brumate whilst others still have the genetic trigger.

The previous paragraph is entirely postulation and theory, it may make very little sense and I could be talking out of my bum.

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  06:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just turn the heating off in the one room, if its your room and you want to brumate them, then you will just have to deal with the low temps, only needs to be down to about 15 degrees, which is warmer than it will be outside!!
Despite being a few generations from wild, insticts dont go away, takes many many years for that to happen! Look at cats for example, being bred socially for decades, yet still have the natural predator insticts from the wild.
That said, corns do not need to be brumated, many people have great clutches from snakes that havent been done, so if its not viable its not the end of the world.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  12:25:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i brumate purely as it's easier for me, in the winter i have other commitments which take up more of my time at that specifically time of year, so have less to do with the snakes is ideal

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000