Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  00:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, im one of those "lucky" people (sarcasm) that has a complete family who is against keeping any reptile as pets mainly because everyone is terrified of snakes. I put a few pics on my FB, and i get shouted at by about 95% of my mates.

Why should i not put pics on MY facebook of my snake?! Not my problem they dont like them. Not as if im rubbing her in peoples faces.

My mum now absolutely refuses to visit or even speak to me (this may be a good thing) But i think its very petty!

My viv has a lock, it IS escape proof.

How is all your friends and family with your snakes? I havent had a visitor since getting Karuza and that was Monday! Usually i have at least 3 visitors a day. *sigh* its just a snake!

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  00:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My folks dont mind. If it stops me getting broody they are happy Hubby used to object but now he sees how happy they make me so hes cool with it now mother in law is usually an opinionated inteferring woman who likes to tell me what she thinks... shes just joined fb so no doubt has seen all my pics. But for some reason hasnt mentioned them to me. I know shes probabloy seething etc cos she wont be the biggest fan. I ignore her though when she kicks off.

As for friends... again they know it makes me happy. Some of them have often brought their kids over to see them and touch them too.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Mamma on 29/07/2011 00:46:50
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  02:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum doesn't like them and hasn't visited since i got them (the first was feb this year), although she didn't visit that frequently before. I still have friends who don't mind and come round, mainly i think because they're interested and fortunately i have another friend who's happy to snake sit if i ever need her too - she had a garter snake growing up.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  05:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my stepdad has no interest in my snakes but aint bothered buy them, my mum likes them but is a little nervous but has held phoenix a couple of times now. as for my mates they seem to be 50/50 some dont like them and a couple have come round to see/hold them. i really dont get why people are scared or have a phobia of them. i know people who have beardies but hate snakes

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

tylersmatrix
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  07:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. When i bought Slash my mum was due to come round on the night for a takeaway but point blankly refused when i told her i had bought a snake and couldn't understand why anyone would want one! She has since been round twice although i have had to put slashs viv upstairs. She has got a fear of snake's but i figure the more she comes round the more she will get used to him being there bit by bit.

Go to Top of Page

Ashma
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  08:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a mixed reaction in the family. My dad and sister absolutely love my snakes (and from reading above I now understand how lucky I am in that respect!). My dad constantly comes over to watch them feed :)
My mum on the other hand, hates them. She still comes over and doesn't have a problem with them, but when Theo escaped while I was still at home, her opinion just became worse. She was threatening to move out unless we found him! Luckily we did.

My other half used to live with her grandparents. Her grandad again, loves them. Her grandma refuses to come to the house. She says we're being 'cruel to her' and that 'if we loved her, we would get rid of the snakes' - NO WAY!!!!
I don't mind, as her grandma and I don't get on, so the snakes help keep us apart haha!

My OH's aunty calls me 'stupid' whenever I buy/mention/hold one of my snakes, which I tend to just ignore because I'm too interested in my beautiful little reptilian family :)

To everyone who has posted about problems - if it makes you happy and you take good care of your snakes, the opinions of others shouldn't matter. People are callous and don't like to see others enjoying something that they wouldn't enjoy themselves. If snakes make you happy and people don't accept it, then its just tough on them! Theres a huge community here that are more than happy to support you! :D

Location - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Go to Top of Page

tahleeuk
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  08:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
none of my family mind me having a snake my 4 dogs are more of a problem i have more friends thatw ont visit because of the dogs than the snake. anyone that doesnt like my family can stay away we dont need them that much lol. as for dave his viv is in my dining room away from everyone anyway so even my sons friend who is terrified of snakes is comfortable knowing theres a lock on the viv and dave cant be seen x

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  08:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband doesn't mind me having my snakes, he knows if he said no I would still get more so he just doesn't nother with it now. He won't touch them mind. The two boys love them and their mates always want to come and see if any of the snakes are out and about. My mum was wary of them to start with but she now touches them if I have them out when she is round. She says her next step is two hold one. My dad is fascinated by them, but is more interested in the skinks I think. The in-laws are a diferent matter. They will come into our home as long as the snakes are safely locked behind glass doors and stay that way. They tell me that if I get one out they will be out of the door and through the gate in a flash. Having said that they did stay in the garden once when I took Sid outside, but made me promise to keep a firm hold of him and keep away from them. I don't push my snakes on anyone if they don't like them then thats fine. I am terrified of house spiders and they are tiny compared to a snake lol.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  08:53:46  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Me having snakes doesnt affect my friends or family coming round (which is rare anyway and we all live practically in the same road). The animals are part of who i am and they all understand that. Some of my not so enthused friends, give them a wide birth when they come in but will go and peek, curiosity gets the better of them.
Although like mamma stops me feeling broody and is really helpful as i dont leave the house much. Although i am currently on a "no more pets" rule according to my mum and auntie. haha, thats what you think.
Iv always had loads of pets and they help me to focus and get through the day semi sane

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Yearling

950 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  09:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Vin first arrived in January my Mum was horrified & my Dad shouted at me for wasting my money on a snake, but since then my Mum has overcome her fear of them a little by visiting & looking in the fauns & talking to the snakes, & my Dad thinks I'm crackers lol I did actually achieve in getting my Dad to look at Rio & he admitted that she was beautiful, so progress made!

Other family members have been more difficult and called me childish, refused to visit etc. but I maintain that if a snake would put them off, they weren't all that bothered about me in the 1st place! The snakes may be scaley but they are just the same as my dogs, rabbit or gerbils in the sense that they are very much part of my family

1.0.0 Carolina Motley Cornsnake - Vin, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Rio, 0.1.0 IJJ Carpet Python - Luna, 0.1.0 Dwarf Sunfire Reticulated Python - Helia, 1.0.0 Royal Python - Jasper, 0.1.0 Spaniel - Jess; RIP Gypsy - a beautiful girl through and through, 0.1.0 Rabbit - Binky, RIP Indy, Jan 2010 - Aug 2011, and Ace, Jan 2009 - Aug 2011
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  09:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I,m lucky nobody has had an adverse reaction to our snake (more of a "would,nt have thought you,d be into snakes Nicky" kinda of a deal - which leads me to ask what exactly is a "snake person" like ???? lol ! Most people and all the kids are very interested even the BT man had a quick hold of Ernest 'cause he was so interested !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  09:37:58  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I either get "ew" or "lawl awesume" :/ my familly don't like them really but also don't really care.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  09:40:45  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nusnakemum

Most people and all the kids are very interested even the BT man had a quick hold of Ernest 'cause he was so interested !

Thats my favorite response. When someone comes in that you dont know and they are so interested. im gona start charging enterance fees....

My sister says to her kids, Lets go and see auntie Rach's snakes/fish/chins...bugger the snakes what about lets go and see auntie Rach. (her house backs on to mine, so not far, just throw the kids over the fence at each other)

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  10:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry you're having to put up with people being like this. It really is shocking!! As long as you're happy with your snake,thats the most important thing,and if your friends are good friends they'll come round to the idea in time.

I'm lucky really. My dads always been ok with reptiles,although mine are the first he's held. My mum was nervous about coming round mine when I got my first snake,Loki. She now holds them all and say they are beautiful and relax her!! My sisters fine with them,although I'm in trouble as my nephew now wants one for his birthday because my kids have LOL.
My boyfriend is more of a fluffy animal person,but is getting more used to them. Had to laugh when I picked up Ofelia and Kalypso from Cymru Corns as Jamie (Doogle) was showing us the hatchies and then got out an adult. Never seen my boyfriend move so fast,I'm sure he teleported out of the room!! Despite all that he's since asked to hold my snakes more and encouraged me to get my hoggie.
Most of my friends are fascinated with the snakes. I've had a few people come out with negative comments,but on the whole most are interested,even if they don't understand my passion for them. A few friends on facebook have seen photo's of them,and I have an old school friend thats really scared of snakes,that after seeing pics of Falcor wants to come round and take a look.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

jordy845
Hatchling

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  11:17:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my mum has yet to know about my new addition ^^ she knows about Sachi just not Stella :P. however she is coming down sunday :) stella may just have to greet her at the door ;)

Jordy :3

0.1.0 Amel Corn - Chihiro R.I.P
1.0.0 Snow Corn - Sachi
0.1.0 Snow Corn - Stella
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  15:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really shocked by my dads reaction, he went mental, which was weird since dont live at home, he was like this for weeks, my mum was fine,like she said, it would be my sons snake not theirs, didnt help when Ian was staying with them for a week and Kellogs pooped all over the living room carpet lol, mum didnt bother, dad went nuts!
Rest of the family just shake their head as they are not animal lovers

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  17:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow great responses everyone! Glad to know that im not the only one with family who are against having snakes!

My mum will probably speak to me soon, phoned her last night and she hung up on me (the word snake never even entered the conversation which consisted of the word hello from me) so talked to my sister and she said mum is still angry. Bah! Do i care? NO!

personally, im over-joyed with the new addition to the family! And yes it stops me getting broody too! Told the hubby its snakes from now on! hee hee!

I have a select few friends who are interested in coming to see Karuza. So i guess thats good! And my inlaws, well they are perfect with it! Mother in law travelling over 100 miles on Sunday just to come see her! Lol

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

kabigat
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  17:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my family are ok with it but when they have out stayed there welcome I casually open the viv door and get the snake out ,that normally gets them heading for the door.
Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  20:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had mixed responses too. My neices think it is awesome and my dad reckons is pretty cool too. Hubby not at all bothered, but mum and mum in law not keen, but they don't really come visiting that often. One of my friends has a major snake phobia, so I warn her if I'm posting photos, but everyone else is more interested rather than anything else.

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)
Go to Top of Page

awlred
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  21:19:25  Show Profile  Visit awlred's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My mum is eager to meet our snake, but my Dad absolutely hates them, I always assumed it was the other way around as to why I could never have one at home.

Aside from that most of my friends are pretty cool, one of our mates wants us to introduce their little boy to our snake so they he sees they're nothing to be afraid of at a young age.

One of my colleagues thinks he's at serious danger of my 9 week old snake coming to work in my pocket and eating him. If it were I'd be tempted to take the snake to work for some peace and quiet.

0.0.1 Amel Corn Snake - Essfer
0.1.0 Wife Jules/Squeefluff
0.0.100s Coffee Things ;)
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  21:36:04  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't had anyone refuse point blank to come to my house because of the snakes. One of my friends said she wouldn't come into the same room as the snakes but she does sometimes, she just doesn't look at the vivs. My mum will look at the snakes through the vivs but doesn't want them near her. Another of my friends has to bring her 2 year old round quite often otherwise she gets sick of hearing 'ee nake'.

If I put pics on facebook then I do get some comments from friends about them but they tend to be mainly lighthearted ones. At the end of the day, if people don't want to see the pics they can just remove me as a friend or scroll quickly past the pics.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000