Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  23:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just told a shocked female cousin that I had taken up a temp job as an exotic dancer and that "Tiddles' was a stage prop for the show. BTW, I'm a 58 year old, balding and bearded old git.

The neighbours' kids love him and are quite happy to handle him, even tho' at 5 feet he is longer than they are tall.

The local pet shop was expanding its reptile stock recently and one lassie was absolutely terrified of snakes. I spent an afternoon getting her acquainted and eventually overcame her phobia. It would have been a shorter task but every kid that came in was fascinated and wanted a 'shot'. The biggest misconception is that snakes are slimy and this puts folk off from the start.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2011 :  23:43:09  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my mum wasnt confident at all, held medusa and now likes and come in to see how snakes doing :) dad loves them as he had various things as a kid :) dad's side of the family are all londoners and love them or even pretend as they know its got me a job and out of trouble :) mums side of the family ask why ever have such pet and my nan and auntie cant go upstairs if my bedroom door is open...

my boss has said he has sold ridiculous ammount of corn snake set ups he sold to people to keep inlaws away is unreal O_o

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  00:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really interesting reading all of these. My sister was in tonight, she wasnt keen on going near the viv but she said she was ok with it in the room as long as she wasnt out, not ready for that yet! And i respect that not all people like reptiles. But she did say my mum is still shouting about me! Sadly for my sister, they work together! Mum is her manager haha!

Im pretty sure my dad will be ok, not spoken to him yet! x

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  16:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all our friends still come over every fri despite some of them having HAD a phobia. we managed to help them all and now the snakeys regularly come out when iv got a house full for some communal handling. i think its actually become one of the attractions of the house, on top of the booze and food lol.
often get asked why by randoms when they first find out i keep them, and most of them wont be convinced that snakes are fantastic pets. i think its a marmite thing...

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page

miss_mystra
Hatchling

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  22:04:48  Show Profile  Visit miss_mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
wow... i think i'm one of the lucky ones!

my mum and her other half find my snakies interesting... weird at first just the usual reaction to the 'unknown' but mum thinks Betty is adorable... and my auntie was the same, utterly fell in love with her! Less people seem to like Sanchez when they meet him as he's a little skittish, whereas Betty is very confident and forthcoming!

The worst one though is Chancho (the royal)... people made a point of going eeuuuurrrghhhh at him when i uploaded his pics onto Facebook... i feel so sorry for him! (my mum etc haven't met him yet, they haven't been down here for a while! it's quite far not because they don't like me LOL)

It's a bit of a running in-joke at work that i'm the weird snake lady... but it's in a nice way (we all rip it out of each other constantly!)

Such a shame that someone in your own family wont speak to you just because of the pet you have :( I can understand just not liking it and being a bit funny, but that level of anger about it - i hope she comes round soon Aegis!

0.0.2 Corn Snakes - Betty (Anery) and Sanchez (Carolina)
1.0.0 - Royal Python - Chancho
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  22:38:37  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's only me, Amy(daughter) and the grandchildren that really like my snakes.
My dad and grandparents think I am daft keeping snakes, because they are not 'proper' snakes.

Although the only time that the long haired major takes any interest in the snakes is when it's feeding time, she finds that fascinating and will watch, but thinks they are horrible the rest of the time.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  22:53:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Mum and sister were fascinated when they came to stay with me for a few days, neither dared hold Spot (I only had Spot the last time they were here) but they were always watching him spinning round his viv and my sister who is really squeemish about everything sat and watched him eating and said apart from the yukky mouse it was amazing. They are coming over in October so should be interesting now I have more creatures.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well they might be terrified of Harley, so i could look after him for you, id give him back.....honest!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aww thanks Miss Mystra! Sadly, mum still isnt speaking! Went to see her today, she told me to get out. I will give her a bit more time, and if she still doesnt come round to it, then i will tell it as it is. Either she accepts our new family member, or just dont bother. Would she rather i had another baby?! Lol!

My best friend cant wait to see her on Wednesday! And my inlaws are coming over 100 miles to meet her tomorrow :) So thats a good thing! My sister in law doesnt want to leave though! She has been staying here for nearly 2 weeks, but now that Karuza is here, she wants to move in! Lol!

And i do have a few other friends interested in coming to see her :)

0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aegis

aww thanks Miss Mystra! Sadly, mum still isnt speaking! Went to see her today, she told me to get out. I will give her a bit more time, and if she still doesnt come round to it, then i will tell it as it is. Either she accepts our new family member, or just dont bother. Would she rather i had another baby?! Lol!

Not being funny, but it sounds like something more if she's telling you to get out of her house for having a snake at your house! :O
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2011 :  23:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol long story, she isnt the most motherly mothers anyway. Her loss, no skin off of my nose. Im content with the new addition, and dont plan to stop at just 1 snake either. :o)

0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  00:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a snake (yet >:D) because I think that my mum doesn't think that I'm responsible >.>
Well, I only really like animals with personalities, ie: cats, dogs, snakes and reptiles etc.
But I think that if I got a snake, my mum and my sister would be aprehensive for a good while, before actually liking the snake, but my little brothers, Dad, best friends etc would all be amazed and would all be like 'awesommee!!'. I'd love a snake... great animals.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  13:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my parents thought it was wierd but my mum loves them - she doesn't get much of a choice though as shes looking after my king and royals at the moment!
my uni friends think it is strange.. apparently children's nursing or nursing in general doesn't go well with keeping reptiles.. LOL

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

JackHutchy979
Hatchling

199 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  13:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently posted a picture of my snake on Facebook and got 26 comments and 2 likes my friends most don't mind most of them were shocked when I said I got one though couldn't believe I had mice in the freezer :) my family don't mind it my mum and brother hold it sometimes but my dad won't at all even though he didn't mind me getting one in the first place but my mum was against it. You never know what people are like till they actually see your snake. The 26 comments may of only been me and a one friend but it was all positive :)

Edited by - JackHutchy979 on 31/07/2011 13:56:31
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  18:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The film Anaconda has a lot to answer for regarding people being iffy with snakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

marlin
Egg

53 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  22:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mum passed away a few years ago (and many years too soon) but I know I would not got a snake while she was alive. She was absolutely petrified at the thought of them. She wouldn't even touch a silver ring I have that is a snake coiled around your finger. She had a very cruel joke played on her as a child by relatives who were allowed access to a reptile house in a zoo after hours. She was led to believe venomous snakes had got out and were missing, hiding somewhere in the room. Then all the lights went out and a pretend one was coiled around her ankle. She never got over it!
It is true that they provoke very strong feelings! Mostly unwarrented and illogical but then so many fears are not logical! I don't like stairs!? Analyse that!

Go to Top of Page

stotty01
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1168 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  23:26:52  Show Profile  Click to see stotty01's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
had a family bbq tonight and out of 30 guests 5 liked them....good to see the family are supportive...

my aunties, bestfriends, hairdressers, friends boyfriend had a snake and it stretched out to measure him to eat him......true story.....
1.0.0 tortoise
1.0.0 sinaloan milk snake
1.0.0 jack russel
0.1.0 anery corn medusa
1.0.0 snow corn abomninable
0.1.0 royal python priscilla
http://www.youtube.com/user/stotty01 dads youtube channel

Tail n scales, Linton, Cambs, CB21 4XN, Tel no 01223 893 508 http://www.tails-n-scales.co.uk/

wish list: boa!
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  00:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is best accepting that some people liking them and some dont is that simple.

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

The film Anaconda has a lot to answer for regarding people being iffy with snakes.

Ah but there were 2 cracking sequels, one even had the Hoff :D

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  01:13:18  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My mum has only seen Barnaby a couple of times and won't go near him. When I told her I was getting Bailey all she said was "Oh my God!" and shuddered. I was actually really surprised on Saturday she came up close to see Bailey (even going as far as to get her glasses to have a better look) and was actually brave enough to touch him. She said it was because he is more like a worm than a snake but personally I think the fact that she'd spent the afternoon in the pub had more to do with it. Lol.

She still says they are horrible things and there is something wrong with me for wanting to keep them as pets. Over the years I won her round on rats (she wouldn't come home the day I got my first one but ended up really liking them), harvest mice and birds, but somehow I don't think it's going to work this time.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  07:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i cant really get to grips with why people are so against keeping them! i know some people have a built in fear of snakes (probably due to films, as mentioned) but dogs and cats are way more likely to cause injury than a little corn or royal. how many times have we seen dogs in the papers for attacking kids? and iv got some pretty impressive cat-related scars from when i was a kid. snakes tho? not a scratch and i got my first corn when i was 12!

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: