Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  11:45:30  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alfie has just shed and while cleaning him out I found what I assume are mites on his head and face

He is nearly 3ft long and 2 yrs old I believe

its not nice as they are all around his mouth and eyes (yuk)

what are the best treatments I should use?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  12:54:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mites are usually black.......
have you tried wiping whatever it is off with a damp cloth?
does it leave anything wriggley on the cloth?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  14:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are not snake mites, do they move??? if they are moving, then bathe the snake, warm water, mixed with a decent dose of fairy liquid. whilst the snake is in the bath clean the tub/viv whatever the get rid of any others in the tub/viv.

what bedding are you using?

Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  16:27:18  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasnt sure as I know snake mites are black - but the only thing I could think of is some form of mite - they do move about and he has them around his mouth and scales - some are smaller and brown others are large and white :( they dont wiggle or wipe off easily

he was on aspen but I have moved him to a new clean rub with newspaper and card hides

all my others are on aspen also but appear clean

I bathed him in warm water but it didnt help so I will try adding some fairy liquid

this pic shows the brown ones around his mouth a bit better

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww poor fella. They sure are acting like mites are supposed to act all round the eyes, mouth, and scale edges. Does seem to be a few darker ones in there too. I have zero experience with mites but I would treat them as if they are, get them off the snake, gut the vivarium, fully disinfect everything (or just bin the lot as I'd be tempted to do). maybe take a sample of the buggers, in a sealed tub see if someone cant identify them (reptile shop or something though make sure they are in a sealed tub or they'll string you up). Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread until a suitable answer comes along, educate myself a little.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:28:40  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just gave him a fairy bath - the things are only round his head, eyes and mouth - there are none on his body

the bath didnt seem to bother them as of yet as they are still moving around

I cant even wipe them off >:(

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thats a bit of a prediciment! I've never seen them before. Any experience iv had with mites is when they are black and poppable! Hope you manage to sort that out. It must be hard to try and get rid of them by bathing when they're mostly on his face..

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  17:42:38  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
have you changed or put anything new in the viv etc

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  19:37:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well they certainly look like they are acting like mites They aren't anything that eat wood as they don't swarm on the snake like that specially around the eyes and mouth bless! I hope you find out soon!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  21:14:07  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Havent added anything new to the viv or changed anything :/

flummoxed

shall I treat these as normal snake mites?

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  21:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww poor fella. That can't be nice for him. Hope you find out what they are so you can treat him for them soon.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  23:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try a mite spray like zoomed or something? See does that bother them at all

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2011 :  23:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the pictures of the tenrec you put on the other section look just in front of its eye, I may be mistaken but it looks awfully like whats on your snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  01:02:27  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that was a little bit of sand - I remember checking it when I took the pics and taking it off as I had thought it was a little bug :)

I believe I may have an answer - apparently the mites become black as they age so these have just hatched which is why they look pale - so i will treat all my snakes now :)

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  11:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thats good, I wasn't sure and thought it best to point it out. Horrid snake mites it is then. I hope you get rid quickly, hit them hard and prolonged, good luck.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

angriesthedgehog
Yearling

United Kingdom
884 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  18:10:16  Show Profile  Visit angriesthedgehog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have commenced full mite assault today

but there are deffo much less than yesterday from the fairy bath

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  21:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not quite, whilst baby mites are indeed much paler, they are also vastly vastly smaller than what you have there, so either they are albino, or they are not snake mites, certainly not the standard african variety!

where are you in the world? i want to see one up close.

Treatment wise, empty the viv, disinfect, and keep bathing the snake.

Normal snake mites also do not congregate around the mouth like that, or the eyes considering there are no others on the body.
having a good look in the mouth would be a good idea also, see if they are IN the mouth also.
I would, at a guess say that they are not feeding on the snake, if they did, they would be red/black, and in that number, they would certainly be feeding.

My guess is they have come in off something recently added, maybe even bedding.
If you can get a really good clear closeup of one of the mites, macro if you can, it might be possible to find out what it is.

Alternatively, scrape some off, put in a escape proof tub and post them to me, i will cover postage ovbviously, but i can have a good look under the 'scope.

I can assure you though, they are not snake mites, i have extensive experience with them.

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2011 :  23:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Alternatively, scrape some off, put in a escape proof tub and post them to me, i will cover postage ovbviously, but i can have a good look under the 'scope.

Mike has apparently run out of things to look at under his new microscope! Lol I joke..

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  07:40:09  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

quote:

Mike has apparently run out of things to look at under his new microscope! Lol I joke..

pmsl, darnt imagine what else hes had under it when hes bored at home

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  20:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

quote:

best we dont go there!

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  21:17:48  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:

quote:

best we dont go there!

very concerned if u need a microscope to see it Mike

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: