Irregular Shed/mites?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  19:04:31  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Since we have had Tiko he has shed approx every 6/7 weeks. Until the last time when he went 12 weeks. I didnt worry as just assumed he had slowed down with his growth etc. (We had him in Oct when he was a juvenile so I assume he is about a year old now - he was a rescue). So his last shed was 12/6. He has now gone into blue again. My first thought was mites. I have looked in the water bowl and saw what i thought were mites but thinking about it now they could have just been brown bits of aspen. I have had Tiko out just now (still totally in blue) and ran him through some damp kitchen towel - nothing came off, not even a speck of dust. I held him in the light and checked his groove, vent, eyes and underside and nothing. My idea was to perhaps wait until morning and drain his water bowl through some kitchen towel to see if anything is in there. I guess my question is, is it ok to go 12 weeks between a shed and then only 3 weeks until next in blue or is it a sign of something up? Also fyi and it may mean nothing, we have had a cat this week and clearly they are never out at the same time but didn't know if snakes could shed due to stress as clearly if this was the case then i would relocate him to a different part of the house.

Sorry to go on, just worried and would appreciate and advice.
Thank you

Lucy

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  19:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot is around the same age and has also just changed prey size and is having a mighty growing spree, he is shedding about 4 weeks apart but adding in the blue phase etc it does appear quite close. Maybe just a growth spurt. Another possibility was that he damaged his skin somehow, either scratched against something or even a fall from his foliage.

Mite wise I have no experience, there are pictures in the stickies though, I have heard that if you pick them out of the water and squeeze them they pop maybe something to try (or get someone you dont like much to try).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  20:19:29  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks lota, I guess he is just such a "regular" snake that anything out of character seems weird to me. Will empty the water in the am and see what I find. He has recently gone up from 1 medium to 2. Hopefully Mike will comment later as he seems to have lots of mite experience. Fingers crossed no mites.
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  19:29:52  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well i emptied his bowl into a kitchen towel and there were a few dots but still undecided as they could just be bits off his vine so I am going to do it all week and then see what comes of it. Going to clean him out tomorrow and bleach everything as a precautionary measure.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2011 :  22:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt worry about the shedding, to me, the 12 weeks between sheds is more worrying than the 3 weeks, and tbh, i wouldnt worry about that either!
Mites wise, If he had enough to make him shed constantly, you would be in no doubt whatsoever that there were mites, they would be everywhere.
You would be able to see them walking on the snake, all over the bedding, in the water bowl etc.
The snake constantly sitting in the water bowl is far more indicative of mites than constant shedding, in my experience, none of the snakes i have shed more than normal, and i can promise you that they DO have mites, the only time i have noticed snakes shedding more often is 2 fold, injury and fungal infection.

What is much more likely is that the snake is going through a growth spurt, not uncommon at all.

Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  20:23:08  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, will keep an eye and see how we get on. I value your opinion and thanks very much.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  23:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for your info Lucy, my Spot has a very milky belly today, he last shed 08/06. Its not a conclusive thing but Spot is a similar age and size to Tiko and currently growing like there is no tomorrow.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

lucyloop
Hatchling

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  12:41:20  Show Profile  Visit lucyloop's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks v much, I will do a bit of measuring when he next sheds and see whats occuring! Feeling much better now!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000