Proud new owner of first cornsnake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kerz11
Snake Mite

5 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally!!! Everything was ready and i could actually purchase my first snake! I had been looking around trying to restrain myself because i wanted the viv to be running smoothly for a few days before i put the snake in.

Friday was the day :) I had wanted an Amel for a long time and saw one and asked them to hold it for me. He is just a hatchling (im calling him he becuase he isnt popped yet-they said if i wanted to bring him back in a few months theyd pop him for me when hes a bit bigger). Im calling him Jaffa-like Jaffa cakes with the orange jelly inside :) He's lovley, ill put pics up once he is settled in. He's looks slightly motley patterned with the red patches on top and then bright orange patches and he has white in him too. i love his red eyes :)

I was very nervous even of getting him from his box into the viv because i havent held a snake since i was at school and i imagine the babys can be very fast. I put him straight in because he was a bit jumpy- to be honest i was expecting him to strike out of fear but he hasnt yet.

He's now settling in for the next week or so-its so difficult not to hande him!!

The reptile guys told me he was due a feed and that i could try him the next day to see if he'd eat, if not try him the next again and if still not then leave him for a week and he'd maybe eat then because he'll be nervous.

I decided id try just putting him straight in the box and leaving him a while with a pinky. The first day nothing happened so i put him back in his viv. But today it happened!!!!!

I brained the pinky a bit this time, put Jaffa in and he went straight for it. It was AMAZING!! They look so happy when they eat. It was a nice surprise for me because i really didnt expect him to eat .

Just a qu-after he ate i was a bit unsure how to get him back in his viv-i know u dont handle for at least 24hrs after a feed so i didnt want to lift him, so i just put his wee box back in the viv for him to come out on his own. However, the box is made of plastic so i couldnt leave it in too long (was worried itd melt!), so i gently lifted him out of it. How do you get your snakes back into the viv after a feed without them regurgitating??

Jaffa has a had a little explore about his viv-becuase hes a hatchling i put loads of stuff in it for him to hide in and toilet tubes and stuff. I also wanted to ask if any of you have tips on handling a hatchling-itll be anothet week or more before i get to properly handle him but any tips would be good. When i lifted him into the viv i forgot how silky they are, hes so soft-you can hardly even feel him in your hand. He's also very fast-any tips for that-im paranoid hell get away on me.

thanks

kerz

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:24:00  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
congrats! Just be confident when you have your 1st hold

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

kerz11
Snake Mite

5 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Ive just realised this is in thw wrong section-i meant to put it in the general keeping section. Can anyone change it over for me please?

Thanks,

Kerz
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new snake. You can lift them after they feed provided that you can support the entire body of the snake and dont squeeze or put any pressure on the stomach while doing so. I didn't like doing it so I used to just let them get out of the tub of their own accord like you did. Plastic shouldn't melt in a corn snake vivarium, if it does its far too hot. What sort of setup do you have and very importantly do you have a thermostat?

Hatchlings are extremely fast so its best to handle somewhere where he is not likely to fall very far if he gets away from you and possibly over a box of some kind so he doesn't zip away once he makes a leap for freedom. Another thing to be aware of is that vivariums are not hatchling friendly at all, they are full of gaps big enough for a small snake to escape out of, especially the sliding doors, where the two panes overlap there is a gap that even bigger corn snakes can squeeze through so it needs to be blocked up.

Its great when they feed but I wouldn't try to feed a snake thats refused food one day on the day after, it could potentially stress them (as it goes your ate, good sign it didn't stress him) they will be perfectly fine waiting for the next feeding day to come around.

Good luck resisting handling him while he settles in and if you've any questions just ask. Don't worry about posting this in the wrong section a MOD will be along shortly to move it where it should go.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

kerz11
Snake Mite

5 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  12:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lotabob. Thanks for the info on handling :)

Im a bit paranoid of him escpaing from the viv so i made sure everything was totally sealed (i aired it for a few days also). I also worried about the sliding doors so i wedged cardboard inbetween the the gap. The gap is very small anayway but since he is a hatchling and i heard they can squeeze through almost anything i decided to be on the safe side. The cardboard is a very tight fit and i have have difficult getting it back out so i hope that means he cant push it out. I also-to be extra paranoid lol-tided the entire room of anything a snake could hide under-including my desk, so that if he did get out and in there i wouldnt have a mountain to find him in, i also have the door closed with a towel around the bottom and have checked the room for a ny cracks etc....is this overly paranoid bordering on insane???

My set up is a vivexotic 24", im using a bulb and a heat mat, they are thermostated but im not using the heat mat at all as the bulb is keeping the right temps-but ill keep the heat mat handy incase i need it someday. Im using a dual themrometre with probes one at the hot and one at the cool end. The viv isnt near hot enoug to melt the plastic-i was just paranoid that if i left it in there something wud melt or catch fire-again paranoid!

is this ok?

thanks,

Kerz
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2011 :  13:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, paranoia about snakes, nobody on here would have any idea what that is.

Cardboard wedge should keep him where he should be. I had a similar setup to you by the sounds of it, but now I run the mat constantly, on a mat-stat and the bulb only runs when needed I find it works better that way. I would recommend getting a guard for the bulb if you haven't already though I bought one and my cornsnake decided to climb through the holes and sit in there, he's still able to get in it even now he's a year old so you'd have to buy one that keeps hatchies out.

With him been so small you need to provide lots of places to hide, and a particular favourite of my corn is if I cut cardboard tubes from kitchen/loo roll in half lengthways and bury them under the substrate to make little tunnels all over the place, its amazing how quick he finds them, I also provide hiding spaces up high, a reptle hammock with a fake plant draped from it to the ground give him a great place to hide and climb.

Your setup sounds fine, many say not to put a hatchie in a vivarium but mine did just fine in one if you notice it acting stressed/nervously or it refuses to eat for a long period of time you might need to move him into something smaller but at the moment just see how he goes.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  10:51:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to you and Jaffa. What a lucky little snake having such a caring owner. lotabob has given you great advice and help. The only thing I would add is to say not to handle for 48 hours after feeding (not 24) to give his meal plenty of time to digest. I can so understand why you wanted an amel, that's what my first snake was, such beautiful markings and colours. I've got others now and each one is very special in their own way. I've got a feeling Jaffa won't be the only snake you have, you'll end up just as addicted as the rest of us!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  14:15:04  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about being paranoid, we have all been there. Better to be paranoid and have all the bases covered than regret something later.
And I agree with Herriotfan above, It sounds like the addiction is already starting to hit and it wont be long before you have added more snakes to your home

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2011 :  14:23:49  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know where you are coming from with the paranoia. I have a 11 yr corn but just got 2 hatchies 2 weeks ago and am very paranoid as it has been a while since i had ickle snakes. Welcome to the forum...great place for putting your mind at rest.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  09:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to you both. You sound smitten already. That settling in period is a nightmare but it'll be well worth it.
You'll gain confidence each time you hold Jaffa,and as he's held more he'll settle down too.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000