attacking anyhting it can
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wheeliknutz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:09:03  Show Profile  Send wheeliknutz a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi i have just taken on 1 yr old corn. she was lovely too handle the few times i handled her in the shop before i got her.

but since having got her home she is attacking anything that comes near her. i have resorted to using gloves and tweezers to go into her viv,she is in a 2foot viv with aspen bedding and has 2 hides,some branches and greenery. she has been fed rat pups and mice. i know she is approx a year old and nearly three foot in length.when i last handled her she bit me 4 times and managed to squeeze my fingers so tight she stopped the circulation. i know this is not normal for them and wondered if anyone has any ideas as to why she is like this?i have spoken to the shop who said she may be about to shed and she still may be stressed. any help would be very much appreciated thank you.

jen

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long have you had her? Did you give her time to settle in?

NEVER USE TWEEZERS TO HANDLE THEM!!!

It is normal for them to defend themselves when threatened, its up to you to show her that your not a threat.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:47:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe its het King? :p

She's probably nervous of her new home... Have you given her a week to settle in with no touching? I would advoiding using tweezers to picked her up as bob said, best thing you can do is just be brave after her week for settling in, she will soon get used to it.

Also, do you have nay other animals? For example dog, cat or anything? I know one of my corns and my king can get very defensive if I have storked the cat or something recently and I have hair on me or not properly washed my hands.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

wheeliknutz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  15:54:23  Show Profile  Send wheeliknutz a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi
i left her for seven days. i only used the tweezers to get the water bowl out of the viv and to feed her a rat pup was using leather gloves to pick her up.but she is going round the viv striking at all sorts.and if you walk in front of the viv she will strike at the glass.any ideas? thank you

jen
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh goody on the tweezer front, had awful visions of tweezered snakes. lol.

Some snakes take longer to settle in, she may be stressed, do you know if she is used to been kept in a vivarium, it may be new to her to be on show like that all the time. I'd also pack the vivarium out with places to hide but also be able to explore without been seen. I would give her a bit longer without handling, I would lose the leather glove too, leather has a very strong smell and basically doesn't smell like you do so if she calms down to handling she will not associate you and your smell to that. You can put an item of clothing into the vivarium, its supposed to help them get used to your smell, A sock in your pocket or something like that. I've not had the pleasure of trying this but many swear by it.
I would cover the front of the vivarium on an evening as well, mainly because if she is striking at the glass she might hurt herself but it will also help her deal with settling in.

I'm afraid there isn't likely to be a quick fix (unless she starts to go blue then you know she's just shedding and that explains a lot) but with patience and confidence you'll have her turned into a lovely handleable snake.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

Go to Top of Page

wheeliknutz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:21:07  Show Profile  Send wheeliknutz a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thank you i will leave her a bit longer to settle in then try again i didnt think it would be a quick fix but am prepared to give her more time since feeding she has now hidden in her moss box but will try covering her viv too. she was kept in a small plastic viv with other snakes round her on aspen with a coconut hide that she seemed to spend a lot of time in.was also told she was a slow feeder but when i gave her a rat pup she swallowed it really fast so was kind of wondering if she was hungry too as ive never seen snakes eat that fast. now she is fed and watered was thinking of just leaving her alone for another week to see how she goes, do you think this is a good idea? thank you very much appreciated

jen
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it a RUB she was kept in with no window? (basically giant tupperware).

Another thing is you say moss box. They don't need to have a moss box all the time, only when they are shedding. A constantly moist environment can cause you problems with respiratory infections or scale rot, i keep my vivarium dry other than at shedding time.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

wheeliknutz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:38:49  Show Profile  Send wheeliknutz a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi no it wasnt a rub it was one of the "starter vivs" a lot of places sell. i wasnt aware that they shouldnt have a moss box all the time. think she maybe going into shed as she has gone dull and her colouring not quite so bright either but kind of guessing cos it how cole my other one goes when he going into shed. how often will she shed as the shop said she hadnt shed in a while? thank you

jen
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends really though its an Anery, if your brave have a peek at the belly, it goes milky a day or 2 before the rest of the snakes body, if its not a clear clear checkerboard then its a shed on its way so you can leave the moss box where it is and it goes some way to explaining the behaviour.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page

wheeliknutz
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  16:58:13  Show Profile  Send wheeliknutz a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
thank you her belly def isnt as clear as it was but not quite milky.thank you for all your advice you have been really helpful so i will leave her undisturbed for a few days and just look at her to keep oan eye on her and see how she goes.
thank you

jen
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  18:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck, she will calm down corns are lovely.

Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Budwing Mantis, MAIA

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000